Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz slow in Lucid kernel, run normail in karmic kernel

Beans

Question Compiz slow in Lucid kernel, run normal in karmic kernel

First, if this question is in a wrong category, please edit and move it in the correct one.

When Lucid released, I upgrade the Karmic in my Thinkpad R61 using
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    The upgrade went smooth, with some minor problems like no sound, but I have fix it using this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

One things that remains until today is that when I'm using latest kernel (right now 2.6.32-24), the compiz run very slow, make the whole desktop unusable. When compiz is killed and using metacity, the desktop is running in normal speed.

Fortunately I still had the Karmic kernel (2.6.31-20) and booting using this kernel, everything run normally.

I just wonder what cause the latest kernel make compiz become slow. Is there any leftover application that I had to uninstall (maybe it's like pulseaudio's problem above), or any missing library/application that I need to install?

If this is a bug, is there any ticket for this and a fix?

TIA
    Last edited by donnykurnia; August 1st, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: fix typo in title

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz slow in Lucid kernel, run normail in karmic kernel

Are you using Ubuntu's supplied open-source video drivers or ones you downloaded from the web?
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans

Hi ptn107,

I'm using intel driver from main repository:

$ dpkg -l|grep xserver|grep intel
    ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

Is there any other information that I need to supply to help finding the solution?

Beans

Hi ptn107,

I'm using intel driver from main repository:

Code:
    $ dpkg -l|grep xserver|grep intel
    ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel               2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5                       X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
    Is there any other information that I need to supply to help finding the solution?
    Last edited by donnykurnia; July 31st, 2010 at 02:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by donnykurnia View Post
    lspci -nn
    lspci -v

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ptn107 View Post
    lspci -nn
    lspci -v
    Here it is in the attachment. I'm also include
    Code:
    dpkg -l
    result, so maybe there are missing essential Lucid package in my installation, or there are obsolete package that must be removed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

I too have integrated Intel video on my Dell laptop using the same [i915] driver. I cannot figure out why yours would be slowing down. Try searching launchpad.net/ubuntu for a bug related to your problem. If none exist open one. May I suggest a clean install also? That may be a bit drastic?
    Last edited by ptn107; August 1st, 2010 at 05:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I also have an intel graphics (855GM). Compiz also slowed down to make the desktop unusable.

I installed the compiz fusion icon

right clicking the icon displays a menu - make sure BOTH

loose binding and indirect rendering are both ticked

for some reason, indirect rendering was not ticked on my install and compiz made the desktop unusable.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Yeah, clean install is an ultimate way. Unfortunately I still have projects near deadline. After that, I might have time to do clean install.

I just want to know if anyone had similar problems, or know something that might be the cause of this problems. Doing clean install every 6 month is quite wasting time. I prefer to do dist-upgrade to kept all my current application settings.

Beans

@davidmohammed,

I had Compiz Fusion icon installed, and in my setting, only indirect rendering ticked, loose binding is not. Using old Karmic kernel, this setting is working well. I will try the Lucid kernel now, see if this is the main cause of the slowness in Lucid. Thank you for sharing the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast