Thread: GRUB bootloader problem

Beans

GRUB bootloader problem

Hi,
    My friend installed ubuntu netbook 10.04 on his asus eee pc using wubi installer. It all installed fine and worked for about an hour or so until he restarted his computer. When his computer started back up it booted straight to this:
    error: no such device: 5f82c49c-f3c4-4270-8241-cde1927c4061
    grub-rescue>
    but the strange thing every command he types in doesnt work we have been trying to find a solution for several hours but we have no luck.It would be helpful if anyone could post anything that might help or advance us in finding a solution.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GRUB bootloader problem

Quote Originally Posted by thatsloankid View Post
    Hi,
    My friend installed ubuntu netbook 10.04 on his asus eee pc using wubi installer. It all installed fine and worked for about an hour or so until he restarted his computer. When his computer started back up it booted straight to this:
    error: no such device: 5f82c49c-f3c4-4270-8241-cde1927c4061
    grub-rescue>
    but the strange thing every command he types in doesnt work we have been trying to find a solution for several hours but we have no luck.It would be helpful if anyone could post anything that might help or advance us in finding a solution.
    Thanks
    You have the grub bootloader in your harddrive MBR (master boot record). With wubi dual boots, you need the windows bootloader. You can either repair it with a windows repair disc or you can install an equivalent bootloader from an ubuntu 'live cd/usb':
    1.Boot from an Ubuntu cd/usb and select 'Try without installing'
    2.Then click on 'Applications, Accessories, Terminal'
    3.Run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    When you install lilo a screen will popup with some info. Hit Enter. The warnings you see refer to a different use of lilo.

Beans

i used a windows vista recovery and followed the directions in this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=device

worked like a charm and now all of my OS's are available for boot and no grub recovery.

Beans

Thanks it worked like a charm!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Right, I did the LILO thing, and it did work, however, it gives me a warning that there was "No Active Partition." However, it does refer me to the Windows Bootloader, which is most likely better, so no harm no foul.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Morin View Post
    Right, I did the LILO thing, and it did work, however, it gives me a warning that there was "No Active Partition." However, it does refer me to the Windows Bootloader, which is most likely better, so no harm no foul.
    You need to set the boot flag on the windows partition for this type of bootloader to work. You must have some other issue if the boot flag is not set correctly, but this is fixable. Why don't you post the results of the bootinfoscript.

Beans

On yesterday, a regular update of an Ubuntu 10.04 installed from Wubi left me with a nice grub rescue console and some nice homicidal feelings.

FYI, the console was preceded by
    error: no such device: 8bbc4f70-.....

At
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re....xxxxx.xxxx%22
    I found
    sudo update-grub2
    but it did not work.

By contrast,
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    did work.

The world is now a better place to live in thanks to bcbc.
    Last edited by another_sam; December 31st, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added previous error message