Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offering my computer skills at School?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Offering my computer skills at School?

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    They're expecting people to be kind. How silly of them...
    I'd say they are expecting people to be selfless.

Gimme gimme gimme! What, you expect something in return? How uncivilized!
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I was in the dorms, I posted up a note at commons area... I included a small bit of information on where I could be found and how to contact me. I also handed out business cards with similar information. The first semester was very slow. The first month I only had two legit calls and one legit email. Things really took off with the winter break though... I stuck around and talked with people. I low ball purchased students who were moving out and couldn't keep their computer systems only to turn around and sell them for a marginal profit. Eventually people knew me as "That Tech Guy" on campus by the end of the first year. Since I lived close to campus I continued to stick around over summer break. In the slow times, I offered free tutoring in various programming languages. Yes, it was tough at first, but slowly things worked out well.

What's funny, the main IT instructor hated me for offering Linux. Keep in mind, this was back in early 06.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

just got a great idea to break ppl's computers in the library then give em a business card ... probably get too rich

but thx for the advice ppl will report on how it goes september
    ASUS EEE-pc 1001P
    I dont want to Live in a Life without Walls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by razorboy5 View Post
    just got a great idea to break ppl's computers in the library then give em a business card ... probably get too rich

but thx for the advice ppl will report on how it goes september
    I know from living in residence that just posting stuff up in the common room or on the floor cork board gets things out there. I think Spr0k3t had ideas for prices that were fairly reasonable, but I know from my friends that if it wasn't for me they would be going to stores and spending silly money to have someone install a few drivers or to make a back up CD. For instance, my girlfriend paid $150 for Best Buy to "set-up" her computer and they didn't even make a back up disk of the operating system.

I would say there is definitely a market for reasonably priced tech help, all you have to do is get yourself out there. Canvas your campus: put up little ads outside of lecture halls and if the student paper if you can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12