Thread: Installing software from ISO Image

Beans

Question Installing software from ISO Image

Hi ,
    I use APTONCD software to create software cds to install on my home system because I don't have Internet connection. I prepare the CD at my Office PC and than use it on my computer.
    Can u guys tell me the way, that without burning a CD I can use ISO image of APT CD to install the software. Also i m getting error in installation of ttf-ms-core-font-installer available in ubuntu restricted extras package this way, because of this the some fonts r not installed on my computer.

Beans

Re: Installing software from ISO Image

Hi.
    While you could use the kernel loop mount function, this might work out better for you.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/mount-and-...ning-them.html

Hope that helps
    Asus P5K | Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz | 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel | Nvidia GeForce 210 1GB Vid Ram | Dual Boot Win7 for Half Life! and Debian Squeeze 64bit w/Gnome 2.30 |
    registered Linux User#: 416460

Beans
    Hidden!

You can do a loopback mount via:

Code:
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 YOURISO /media/cdrom/

Beans

Thanks for your sugessions, I seems working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you are running Ubuntu 10.04 you can simply right-click any .iso image and select "Open with Archive Mounter". That will mount the image for you...

What comes to the MS fonts installer package, the problem is that some of the fonts aren't allowed to be distributed in the package. When you install the package it actually tries to download those fonts for you. Of course that won't work if you don't have Internet connection. The solution is to simply find a computer with Windows installed and copy the fonts from there manually.

There are some packages like this in the repositories, for things with such a restrictive licensing that they can't be distributed directly from Ubuntu's servers.