Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10.4 Gnome desktop is spawning multiple processes

Beans

Re: 10.4 Gnome desktop is spawning multiple processes

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    Yes, but the problem the OP is complaining about seems to be that these processes keep on spawning over and over again until they make the machine unusable. For these processes to spawn *once* is normal. For them to spawn over and over again until you have tens or hundreds of each (which is what I understand is happening here) is very much not normal.
    Exactly!

This is has been a real bugger. I tracked all the processes back to UID 1 and gdm. I thought for sure it would be resolved by removing and re-installing the gdm, figuring that these are all gdm related and perhaps there was a process reading a startup config somewhere that was looping, or not receiving a stop signal. So I purged the gdm and ubuntu-desktop, rebooted, re installed gdm and still no joy.

Beans

I've been having a very similar problem. My system boots OK, but when I try to launch the Synaptic Package manager, the system starts wildly spawning processes and becomes unresponsive.

Luckily, my system remains functional as long as I avoid running Synaptic, and "apt-get update / upgrade" seem to work fine from the command line.

When I happen to forget and launch Package Manager, though, it's a bit off-putting to have to hard power-down the system (because a shutdown is usually not possible).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have had problems with Nautilus respawning and creating a high cpu in 10.04 on a Asus 900.
    The solution (for me) can be found here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12