Thread: Brasero can't burn VideoDVD/SVCD

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Unhappy Brasero can't burn VideoDVD/SVCD

Dear ubuntu community,

I was playing around with Brasero a bit recently. Data and audio projects seem to work fine but I'm running into some issues when trying burn a Video DVD or SVCD.

The first time I clicked on video project in Brasero it told me that it would need the following packages:
    vcdimager, mplex and dvdauthor

So I installed vcdimager, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse (containing mplex), dvdauthor and their dependencies.

Then I feeded Brasero with the desired video file (tried different formats like avi or mpg, but mostly mkv);

• When I try to burn a SVCD it completes the conversion to mpeg2 successfully but when it attempts to start recording it ejects the CD-R. (see SVCD.log in attached logs.tar.gz)

• When I try to burn a Video DVD it doesn't even start conversion, it ejects the DVD+R one second after I press burn. (see VideoDVD.log in attached logs.tar.gz)

Note: Both the drive and the blank CDs/DVDs were successfully tested under windows.

Another thing I wonder about are those plugins. Brasero seems to have different plugins for one action, i.e. on my system it uses:

growisofs - burns and erases DVDs and BDs
    wodim - burns, erases and formats CDs and DVDs
    among some others...

So wodim and growisofs both burn and erase DVDs and both Plugins are activated!?
    There's also cdrecord available (which isn't installed) for burning, erasing and formatting CDs, DVDs and BDs.
    What would happen if I install this? Which plugin is Braser going to choose? I'm a bit confused with those plugins...

Any help would really be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Note: Please do not give me recommendations like using K3B, DeVeDe or any other app! I like Brasero, it's UI and it's integration into gnome and want to keep using it.

Beans

Re: Brasero can't burn VideoDVD/SVCD

Well I don't use brasero but if I was and having issues with it I'd take a look at this ppa and consider trying it

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the quick reply,

I tried out installing the cdrtools. At least this answered my questions about the plugins. All other conflicting ones are automatically removed upon the installation of cdrtools. So cdrtools replace genisoimage and wodim.

Unfortunately that didn't solve the burning problem. I also already updated the firmware of my dvd writer.
    I also found out that the writer (which is a GSA-H55N from LG) isn't really compatible to ubuntu as it seems, since it can't read any DVD I put into the drive (however Windows can).

Maybe I'll go and buy a new DVD writer to see if that was the problem...

Beans
    Distro

Question P-ATA or S-ATA?

Okay so I decided to buy a new CD/DVD-burner...

Can somebody please tell whether P-ATA (IDE) or S-ATA has better compatibility with ubuntu regarding optical drives?

Thanks in advance!

Beans

I've never had any problem with ide dvd drives of varying types (lite-on, plextor, Benq, pioneer.

(though the plextor and benq are from a batch of them I purchased several years ago when the models were being discontinued.

Over time have noticed some people having issues with sata models though very, very few thru the more recent ubuntu releases so I think support for sata dvd drives is vastly improved and shouldn't be an issue.

(if it was me I'd be inclined to stay away from samsung sata dvd drives even though they may work fine, but at least here am sticking with an ide even though I could install a sata

Beans
    Distro

Wink Say goodbye to LG and hello to Samsung!

Reporting back with a brand new Samsung P-ATA (IDE) DVD-writer 'SH-S222L' !

Note: Don't use the S-ATA one 'SH-S223' (tried that one, only got issues like the whole S-ATA connection crashing affecting my HDD as well)

Things that are working now:

• Burned a SVCD now - Content was playing fine on our TV
    • Burned a Video-DVD now - Content was playing fine on our TV

Things that still have issues (same behavior like the old drive):

• Refuses to read any DVD-RWs no matter if burned with some other device or itself
    • Only accepts blank RWs; once written on and put in, the drive disappears everywhere in nautilus

So ok that's a progress! Only need to get RWs working now...

Any ideas?