Thread: i'd like to create an ext2 or ext3 partition for storage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i'd like to create an ext2 or ext3 partition for storage

currently running windows because ubuntu has proved to be unstable on my new machine.

i am accustomed to having a partition on the second physical disc to put my clonezilla backups there. i normally use NTFS for that partition (on my previous machine, no problems). after i created the new partition i wanted, formatted it (full format, not quick), then started clonezilla, it doesn't show me that partition with it's size. it just shows me the partition on the disk with no size, and the partition listed above it is of the same disc, but with it's full capacity listed.

so i have 2 drives on my system:
    intel 80GB SSD
    toshiba 320GB HDD

the intel has 2 partitions on it, those are listed fine
    the toshiba also has 2 partitions on it, one of the items listed shows it 320GB, the other doesn't list a size.

not sure why it's doing this, but it's kicking back insufficient space errors when i try to backup my intel windows install, probably because it's not registering properly with clonezilla.

so i'd like to try another FS, like ext2 or ext3. but i want to know how to specify the partition properly (what mount point, etc.) i'll be using gparted live to do this ...
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: i'd like to create an ext2 or ext3 partition for storage

With an ext2 or ext3 you can't access it Windows. Unless you install ef2fs to access your partition.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: i'd like to create an ext2 or ext3 partition for storage

Quote Originally Posted by theozzlives View Post
    With an ext2 or ext3 you can't access it Windows. Unless you install ef2fs to access your partition.
    don't need access in windows. in fact i want to do ext2 or ext3 in order to isolate from the windows read/write system ...
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7