View Poll Results: What did you do with your Windows license on your main computer?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought Windows preinstalled, and I use the Windows my computer came with

16 7.62%
  • I bought Windows preinstalled, and I used Windows for a while but later erased it

39 18.57%
  • I bought Windows preinstalled, and I erased it immediately, never using it

34 16.19%
  • I bought Windows preinstalled, tried to get a refund but failed

1 0.48%
  • I bought Windows preinstalled, and I got a refund for the Windows license

2 0.95%
  • I bought Linux preinstalled

9 4.29%
  • I bought my computer with no OS preinstalled

22 10.48%
  • I built my own computer (no OS)

66 31.43%
  • I bought a Mac

2 0.95%
  • Other situation (please explain)

19 9.05%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you buy Windows preinstalled and just install Linux over it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you buy Windows preinstalled and just install Linux over it?

Every few months or so, another "I got a Windows refund" or "I tried to get a Windows refund and failed" blog entry shows up in the Linuxsphere.

If you look at the Linux preinstalled options out there, they're kind of pitiful--not available in all countries, available from only certain vendors with limited and/or overpriced models. And the days of a build-your-own computer being significantly cheaper than buying a prebuilt model are over, especially if you're into a laptop or netbook.

So what's a Linux user to do? Buy Windows preinstalled? Let Microsoft brag that it's selling 10 Windows 7 licenses per second?

Some have argued that people should just keep trying to get Windows refunds. I would disagree. The refund process is really convulated and, more importantly, is not guaranteed to work. You could document yourself refusing the license, send something back to the vendor, be on a customer support phone call for hours, or make several phone calls and write emails back and forth... and still not get a refund. And, chances are, the more that people try to get refunds, the harder refunds will be to get.

Some have argued, as I have in the past, that we should all just buy Linux preinstalled. Vote with your wallet, instead of petitions. The problem with that, as I said before, is that there just aren't enough options. Linux users tend to be a picky lot. Dell, ZaReason, and System76 are niche vendors even for the niche computing population that is Linux users. A niche of a niche will get nowhere, because when it comes down to it, people want they want, and they also want generally what's cheaper (which is not Linux preinstalled).

There is a third option, which may be worth exploring. I'd be curious to know what others think. How about setting up a Linux counter, but a different one? I heard about Linux Counter years ago when I first started using Linux, and after five years as a Linux user, I still haven't signed up for it. Why? Because I think it serves no purpose. There are, as of this writing, 126,399 Linux users registered at Linux Counter. What does that tell you? Not really a whole lot. The kind of Linux counter I'm interesting in exploring would have a point, though, and the point would be exactly the opposite of Microsoft bragging about how many Windows licenses it sells a minute. This Linux counter would count how many unused Windows licenses Linux users were forced to buy in order to get the kind of computer they wanted. Would that be interesting to see? What do folks think? Would you actually sign up for such a counter? Are there, in fact, a significant chunk of Linux users who buy Windows preinstalled but never use Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Did you buy Windows preinstalled and just install Linux over it?

Built my own PC's for the most part. My latptop was pre-installed with Win7, didn't bother dealing with Windows, kept 7 on there for no reason really. Just dual-booted it.

Build your own, most cost-efficient method there is, and it's ridiculously easy.

I should know, I'm a butterfingers and I did it.
    Nothing witty here. =(

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

All of my computers in recent years (since I discovered FOSS operating systems) have been used, but I would never buy windows preinstalled, it's a complete waste of money. For example, I'm building a fairly nice computer, 450$ buys me a quad core processor, 1GB nVidia card, 4GB RAM, multi-terabyte storage, etc. I save about 50-70$ on not having to buy a windows license which is automatically added on to the price of pre-assembled and installed computers, plus not fueling microsoft's collective ego. Win-win. Also, as I've said before, I'd prefer pre-assembled computers without an OS to ones with linux. Much more likely to get those, and I always liked fresh installs of an OS on blank hard drives.
    EDIT: Also I disagree with you saying that building your own computer being cheaper are over (Didn't notice that at first). Try getting a computer with the specs my DIY system is going to have (at the time of writing) and I guarantee you it's going to run you well over 600$ at the least.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; July 26th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    And the days of a build-your-own computer being significantly cheaper than buying a prebuilt model are over
    Disagree

Buying a pre-built system is going to be cheaper than building a like for like system yourself
    but building your own box is still (and will likely always be) a more cost effective solution

I'm excluding laptops, netbooks and other such things
    talking about desktop machines

The components of pre-built systems are chosen to ensure a limited upgrade path
    instead of upgrading components and keeping a system for 5 years, hardware vendors want you to buy a new package every 2-3

Sensibly spec'd self-builds will only cost a fraction more than the nearest comparable pre-built system, but last twice as long

Anyway,
    self-built
    not bought a pre-packaged computer system in many, many years

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I built my own (high end) computer and unless I get a laptop, I can't imagine any other way. Of course, that's probably because I'm kind of obsessive about certain things whereas most people could just buy an OEM computer and be happy. So, that's not necessarily a good thing.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I've only been using Linux for a little over a year now. All my machines are older than that. They have come with XP and Vista preinstalled.

After using Ubuntu and other distro's I just ended up installing Linux over them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I save about 50-70$ on not having to buy a windows license which is automatically added on to the price of pre-assembled and installed computers, plus not fueling microsoft's collective ego.
    That isn't true. The portion of the price of a new computer that goes to Microsoft is far less than that. Add in all of the pre-installed toolbars, AV trials and so on, and the price you pay for software with a new machine is basically nill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    Also I disagree with you saying that building your own computer being cheaper are over (Didn't notice that at first). Try getting a computer with the specs my DIY system is going to have (at the time of writing) and I guarantee you it's going to run you well over 600$ at the least.
    It depends, but in general, if you try to build a machine in the exact specifications of an OEM model you will not pay less.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I bought 3 eMachines with Vista pre-installed for $200 each from Tigerdirect (not refurb):

2GB DDR2 ram
    160GB HDD
    AMD Athlon 2650 chip
    DVD-ROM read/write
    Keyboard, mouse, and powered USB speakers.

No way Vista cost >$50
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I bought my laptop with 9.04 pre installed (no windows)
    Ubuntu 11.04, Mac OS X 10.4.11

Beans

I bought my computers without pre-installed OS. This is a Laptop and a desktop.

In the next future I'll maybe buy a netbook and there I go for a system76, because the price for their netbook is ok, and it is no windows.

I agree with Dustin2128: pre-installed windows = waste of money. Even if it was just 0.001 cents, it definitley is wasted money.
    Last edited by Screwdriver0815; July 26th, 2010 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast