Thread: Peppermint One

Beans

Talking Peppermint One

Was sent an email today asking about my choice of OS, thought I would do a little promo on here in case anyone was interested in trying a new (or new-ish) Ubuntu distro.

Heeeey Johnny!

Could I please ask you why you are using Peppermint OS with such a PC as yours. You've got a nice one!
    Hey,
    I use my computer as a media center primarily. I have other Linuxes but I like something more out of the box. Ubuntu is great with that but it's a bit sluggish. I have tried minimal installs, and different window managers but it still seemed, not quck. I tried a few different distros of Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, MoonOS, WattOS, Xubuntu, etc. But there either wasn't much of a boost or it seemed difficult to figure out.
    I have played with Peppermint One for a couple days now. I removed the Cloud stuff. I put on Open Office, XBMC, VLC, upgraded Firefox to 3.6.9pre and it's still amazing. The only difficult thing I found was to get my audio working after installing the NVIDIA drivers for my HDMI, but I was able to fix it with a bit of Googling, here's the link if you are interested: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...rce_controller
    Even just the USB drive of Peppermint was fast for a liveCD. If you don't mind fiddling a bit it's quick

Long story short. I was looking for a cut back version of Ubuntu that I could dedicate almost all resources into just playing blue-ray movies, etc, and I found one

heh
    now that I have talked you eyes out
    TTYL
    Last edited by JohnnyC35; July 25th, 2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: found the link to fix the HDMI audio

Beans

Re: Peppermint One

Thanks. Just discovered and tried peppermint ice. It is quickly to become my main base for virtual machines and even productivity. My netbook has ubuntu configured to the hilt to impress friends... but most of the time I am alone and could benefit from the productivity boost. will triple boot to use it as my new primary.
    Happy-Go-Lucky