Thread: Help: Upgrading to 8.04 deleted all OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Help: Upgrading to 8.04 deleted all OS

My friend's netbook was running on 7.04 or 7.10. Since it has no CD drive and we couldn't find or add the usb creator feature, we decided to upgrade via internet using the upgrade button shown in the update manager.

All the required steps being shown seemed to be going well (creating new channels, downloading upgrades, installing upgrades, etc) until the step "restarting computer". When it restarted, it went into the memory test for almost 2 hours so we decided to stop it. when we restarted, at the "Grub loading", we pressed Esc to see the OS installed: there wasn't any excpet for the "memtest".

What are the options to re-install an OS? I have to say that we don't have an external CD drive. I just have my laptop with a CD drive and which uses Linux Mint 9.

I'd appreciate all your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Help: Upgrading to 8.04 deleted all OS

Try installing Ubuntu 10.04.

You can create a bootable usb with unetbootin.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

What are the options to re-install an OS? I have to say that we don't have an external CD drive. I just have my laptop with a CD drive and which uses Linux Mint 9.
    linux mint 9 is ubuntu based, look in synaptic for "usb-creator-gtk", you can use that to make bootable usb installer.

you'll need a ubuntu iso.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Try installing Ubuntu 10.04.

You can create a bootable usb with unetbootin.
    Thanks for the reply! I tried unetbootin on my linux mint 9 to create a usb installer for ubuntu 10.04 but the netbook won't recognize it. At startup, it would say something like "remove disk or other media then press any ke to restart". I used "start up disk creator" instead and it worked.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    linux mint 9 is ubuntu based, look in synaptic for "usb-creator-gtk", you can use that to make bootable usb installer.

you'll need a ubuntu iso.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download
    I was able to create the usb installer using "start up disk creator" on my linux mint 9 laptop. Installation was successful except for something that's quite inconvenient: the labels of the desktop icons can't be read and the icons themselves don't respond consistently to the touchpad and not at all to the mouse. I tried the monitor settings (guessing among the icons) but it does not resove how the desktop is. Would you know how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mafaldaspeaks View Post
    I was able to create the usb installer using "start up disk creator" on my linux mint 9 laptop. Installation was successful except for something that's quite inconvenient: the labels of the desktop icons can't be read and the icons themselves don't respond consistently to the touchpad and not at all to the mouse. I tried the monitor settings (guessing among the icons) but it does not resove how the desktop is. Would you know how to fix this?
    Well, I didn't really get to fix the problem with the ubuntu netbook desktop (the launcher). I just switched to the gnome desktop and now the netbook's working fine.