Thread: Why does openoffice-help-en-us does not work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why does openoffice-help-en-us does not work?

Hey guys

I, along with many other users, have found a bug in OpenOffice 3.2.0 where it would take 20 seconds or more to open a file. The bug only seems to work if there is an internet connection. However, if there was none, then it would take a slit second to open a file. One user reported that the problem was solved when he downloaded the help packages for OpenOffice (he runs Kubuntu 10.04 if I am right).

Now the problem is I downloaded the help packages from the Software Centre, but I still get a message when I go to Help > OpenOffice.org Help or if I press F1.

"The help file for this topic is not installed..
    Please install the openoffice.org-help-en-us package or local specific help package openoffice.org-help-<language code>."

But I installed the package, I do not see what the problem is.
    Can you guys please help me out? Where can I get the packages? The only place I managed to find them was here http://packages.debian.org/lenny-bac...org-help-en-us
    But I don't know if it will work properly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am still inexperienced with Linux and Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Why does openoffice-help-en-us does not work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tombgeek View Post
    Hey guys

I, along with many other users, have found a bug in OpenOffice 3.2.0 where it would take 20 seconds or more to open a file. The bug only seems to work if there is an internet connection. However, if there was none, then it would take a slit second to open a file. One user reported that the problem was solved when he downloaded the help packages for OpenOffice (he runs Kubuntu 10.04 if I am right).

Now the problem is I downloaded the help packages from the Software Centre, but I still get a message when I go to Help > OpenOffice.org Help or if I press F1.

"The help file for this topic is not installed..
    Please install the openoffice.org-help-en-us package or local specific help package openoffice.org-help-<language code>."

But I installed the package, I do not see what the problem is.
    Can you guys please help me out? Where can I get the packages? The only place I managed to find them was here http://packages.debian.org/lenny-bac...org-help-en-us
    But I don't know if it will work properly.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am still inexperienced with Linux and Ubuntu.
    How did you install it? I just installed mine using Terminal and the following code whcih works.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openoffice.org-help-en-us
    HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 250 @ 3.2Ghz 3GB RAM 640GB HD
    Saline OS 1.6 2.6.32 AMD64 Xfce
    SolusOS Beta-1 3.0.0 solus kernel i686 Gnome 2.3
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin 3.2.0-15-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the help files installed on mine, but it makes no difference it still takes 20+ secs to load a file when connected to the Internet, but instantly when not connected!

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bobcollard View Post
    How did you install it? I just installed mine using Terminal and the following code whcih works.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install openoffice.org-help-en-us
    I installed it through the Ubuntu Software Centre

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJohnB View Post
    I have the help files installed on mine, but it makes no difference it still takes 20+ secs to load a file when connected to the Internet, but instantly when not connected!

Does anyone know a solution for this?
    I reported the bug to OpenOffice.org, and so far they have found clues as to what causes it, but they have not found a solution.

Here is the Issue Report:
    http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=112546

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't remember having seen a fix to the help file problem. Switch to the Sun version, it doesn't have the problem: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
    Ubuntu user # 14396