Thread: what do you use linux for and what can you do with it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

what do you use linux for and what can you do with it?

I'm stuck at work board so I thought I would post a question to get a feel for what kind of people we have in the area.

Question #1
    I'm just wondering what do you use linux for?

We have at home/ office. We use it for everything - from movies, music, internet, wife uses it for her work, designing, some photo editing, a lot of vector work, I plan on using it soon for some G-code work, also testing a few programs for people. That's mainly about it.

Question #2
    How far have you taken linux for yourself or others, what can you do with it?

What can we do in Linux lol not much I can compile, I don't know anything about scripts but I would like to learn more about them, were mainly users and testers as far as the code world of linux.

Thanks ken
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: what do you use linux for and what can you do with it?

1) With respect to home use, almost everything, but mainly development, such as client and server side web development, scripting, and so forth. In most of the work places I've been at, I've mainly used it for web services.

2) Outside of development, the only other thing that I can think of that is worth mentioning is setting up a system, at work, through which proprietary code could be viewed remotely by guests without allowing the files to be downloaded.

Beans
    Hidden!

I use GNU/Linux for just about everything

At work (server hosting company) we have a couple different distros that we use for our installs - CentOS, Debian, and Ubuntu mostly. At home I use Ubuntu for all my personal computing needs. I also have a HTPC running XBMC, and up until a few days ago my phone was dual-booting two different Debian-based distros, but sadly it died when it met a concrete floor
    Last edited by swoody; October 24th, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

1) Anything and everything except gaming. That's the only thing I occasionally miss about my Windows system but the Xbox seems to be satisfying my gamer cravings.

2) I have tried to get my wife and father to use Ubuntu and they did for a while but eventually switched back to Windows due to unsupported hardware or not wanting to learn new software for something they knew how to do before.

Personally, I am always looking for more I can do with my systems. I like to add eye-candy to my desktop and functionality to my server.

My desktop system is running dual monitors with easystroke. I get frustrated when I use other systems now because I cannot toss windows between screens with a flick of the wrist

I am able to remote to my server from anywhere with an internet connection to access all my files, stream music, or proxy a connection.

I dink around a bit with development on my desktop but sometimes programming at home kind of feels like I'm still at work

Once I save up some cash my next project will be a HTPC. I can stream movies from my server to my Xbox right now but am wanting something a bit easier to browse and capable of saving TV shows.

Beans

1.) I use Ubuntu for server services like for storing movies and music accessible through my PS3 and other computers. I do some game development on it like OpenGL programming and 3D modeling with blender.

2.) In addition to my desktop I also have it installed on my thumb drive and I take it everywhere. It a system ever becomes un-bootable I just pop in my Ubuntu thumb drive to see what wrong with it. Fellow classmates in college do the same thing just so they don't have to log into the bogged down Windows XP lab computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

Here in Mad County I use 10.10 for everything.

It fulfills all of my requirements.

Greetings from the metro East!

KegHead

Beans

Greetings. I live in the Quad-Cities area along the Mississippi and I started using Ubuntu (and it's cousins) on my refurbs starting with Mint7. I interrupt the trip of old computers to the landfill and refurbish them for donation to local not-for-profits for distribution to folks (usually geriatric) who otherwise would not have a computer. I install Mint for folks who have never had a computer before and Zorin for those who are familiar with Winders.

I recently took my Win7 comp to the basement computer station and brought one upstairs with Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 to use as my daily drive.

BTW, if you have a friend or relative with autism or learning disabilities, I recommend and have had good luck with Mint9. It seems to be unbreakable for a desktop user with no administration privileges.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

I've updated my mini9 to Xubuntu!

I love it!

KegHead