Thread: Slow (probably) DNS queries with wireless connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question [Solved] Slow (probably) DNS queries with wireless connection

I have read many threads about this, but it doesn't solve my problem. I'm sorry for my duplicate post, but I'm going crazy because of this.

All of my networking-related programs in my Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx 32-bit are running slowly with the DNS queries. Okay, (probably) DNS, because I noticed that there is about 10-15 seconds delay in resolving hostname.

For example, when I browsed http://www.google.com/ with my Firefox, it's displaying "Looking up www.google.com..." so long and I noticed that the progress of web loading after that phase is very fast. I have 512kbps Internet connection and this is running smoothly in my Windows 7 Home Premium.

It must not be the IPv6. I have turned off my IPv6, both in my laptop or my router. But it still have slowly DNS queries.

Few months ago I read a thread about this, following the steps and finally my DNS queries running smoothly. The problem is I just formatted my entire harddisk and now I can't remember the thread, even the title of the thread. I only remember that the problem-solver is arranging the way Ubuntu sends DNS queries (and I remembered that I delete some entries from a file).

Could you help me with this problem?
    Last edited by saifulwebid; July 8th, 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Problem solved: read the #4 reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Slow (probably) DNS queries with wireless connection

What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf file look like, especially the "hosts:" line? Mine simply says "files dns". If your hosts line lists any other resolution methods, then one of the extras could be the source of your problem. For example, some people report having trouble with the wins method.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You could just try pinging google.com in a terminal window,
    that should show how quick dns responds with the ip address,

I would also, try different urls to avoid cache showing a faster response.

Also, putting the IP address in the browser instead of the dns name might show if this is definately (or not ) dns realted.
    You could also trying using a public DNS server to rule out issue ywith your ISPs DNS
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Slow (probably) DNS queries with wireless connection

Okay. After finding in several sources, I did this steps already:

First, I remove the libnss-mdns package with running this on terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove libnss-mdns
    Then editing /etc/nsswitch.conf with gedit with running this on terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/nsswitch.conf
    and make sure the hosts line is containing this:
    Code:
    hosts: files dns
    Then I reboot the machine and the problem is didn't solved.

---

Second, after rebooting the machine I opened /etc/sysctl.conf file and adding this into the end of the file:
    Code:
    #disable IPv6
    net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
    net.ipv6.default.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
    net.ipv6.lo.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
    Then I reboot the machine, and browsing with Firefox is still slow. However, I didn't check other programs.

---

Third, finally I tried to change IPv6 setting in Firefox by opening about:config and set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true. Then I tried to browse several sites and the problem is solved.

Being fun, I tried to use any network-related programs and the connection is going normal. I didn't know what step(s) did I do to solve the problem, but I say thank you for the solid Ubuntu community to help me solve my problem.

And thank you for Brandon Williams and jonobr that trying to help me solve my problem.

Sorry for my bad English.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by saifulwebid View Post
    Third, finally I tried to change IPv6 setting in Firefox by opening about:config and set network.dns.disableIPv6 to true. Then I tried to browse several sites and the problem is solved.
    Hah, I've been going through the same problem, but never even gave a thought to it being a setting in FireFox.

I changed this setting, and BAM! My google searches finally load almost instantaneously, I don't have to wait half a minute for my forums to load.

Sank you, OP, for having this problem and posting the solution.