Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 4 Beta Feedback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox 4 Beta Feedback

Mozilla recently released the first beta version of Firefox 4. Although is probably too early for using it on a regular basis, specially if you have tons of extensions installed, is a great opportunity to help shape the next generation of the best web browser.

Mozilla included with the browser a feedback extension, that allows you to easily send your opinion about Firefox 4. There is only two options to select from the feedback menu: "Firefox Made Me Happy Because..." and "Firefox Made Me Sad Because...". When you select one of those, a custom web page is displayed, where you can specify your choice.

The most interesting feature is a dashboard that shows how many users are happy and sad, along with the messages and other statistics.

When you submit a feedback, Firefox detects the browser page you are viewing at the moment and automatically adds a tag to your submission. When browsing the dashboard, you can see the stats for specific features by using the search tool. For instance, you can type add-ons manager, to see what other users think about the new redesigned interface of that tool.

This is a great opportunity to show what you like and don't like about Firefox 4 and also to report problems with the beta release.

you can also request new features or improvements at https://firefox.uservoice.com/forums...firefox-4-beta

So grab your beta version and start submitting feedbacks. You can easily test Firefox 4 without affecting your default user profile and Firefox installation with FoxTester extension for Ubuntu Firefox.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; August 20th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Firefox 4 Beta Feedback

Great. BTW, that's a very handy addon. I have a suggestion for it: make an option to make a copy of the current profile and load it up in the launched instance of FF.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow1304 View Post
    Great. BTW, that's a very handy addon. I have a suggestion for it: make an option to make a copy of the current profile and load it up in the launched instance of FF.
    The problem is that the extension install all versions and create each corresponding profiles inside the foxtester folder under the profile where the extension is installed. So it would create some design problems and confusion, since the new profile would have a FoxTester of it's own.

So I have decided too keep things simpler. If you want to test the new version with your current profile, you can make the version default through the extension menu and then restart. It will use your default profile and will be launched when you click a Firefox launcher in your panels or menu. If something goes wrong you can easily revert to the default version from the extension menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the explanation. It works a treat.
    Last edited by marshmallow1304; July 21st, 2010 at 07:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lookin' good! Is that in KDE 4? Is Firefox also qt-based, now, or is that just the theme you're using?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by murderslastcrow View Post
    Lookin' good! Is that in KDE 4? Is Firefox also qt-based, now, or is that just the theme you're using?
    Yes, it is KDE 4.4. Firefox is not qt-based and I'm not using any Firefox theme on those screenshots. The thing is that I use QTCurve in KDE, so it changes GTK applications accordingly.

Firefox 4 will change until the final release, since Linux doesn't have the new interface yet, like Windows. The new Win interface is awesome. See attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That is quite nice. The lack of GTK blending with emerald and ARGB support being common and pluggable across QT, GTK, and Emerald/Aurorae engines is probably why we don't see more of these kinds of blended themes.

I'm looking forward to it, though, since they said it'll be made to look consistent across platforms. Yeah, I've noticed that different applications (Miro vs. GIMP) use different kinds of buttons in their qtcurve implementations. I wonder why some are rounded and some are cubic. Qtcurve is pretty nice, but the lack of radials in GTK engines can make some color schemes a hassle to work with (black backgrounds for instance) anyway.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using Firefox 4 when it's out, even if it lacks round menus. ^,~

Beans
    Distro

Looks like Firefox 4.0 Beta 2 is coming out today. It is planned for July 23, but I already received a message that I can update my extensions to work with it and with Firefox 4.0b3pre.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; July 21st, 2010 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Looks like Firefox 4.0 Beta 2 is coming out today. It is planned for July 23, but I already received a message that I can update my extensions to work with it and with Firefox 4.0b3pre.
    Doesn't appear to be out yet, at least, not on the ftp site.
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I want to install it. How do I install Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 10.04? Do I have to remove the current Firefox?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast