Thread: current command line wifi config tool?

Beans

current command line wifi config tool?

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, having just installed Ubuntu 10.4 Server on an AMD home built. Ethernet works fine, and the old Netgear WPN311 PCI card I stuck in there also plays well with my WPA2-PSK router. (I got this working using the GUI networking tools after installing gnome-desktop.)

What I would like to do is replicate this, but manage and configure the wlan0 interface using the command line without GNOME. An extensive surf through the Ubuntu documentation as well as ancillary forums (including other than this one--horrors!), revealed what appears to be a mish-mash of obsolete and inaccurate references. Some say add the wlan0 data to /etc/network/interfaces, others say no, use NetworkManager. Some say WiCD replaces NetworkManager, others say it's deprecated. No one says what the CLI to NetworkManager is.

I started piecing through wpa_cli and the shell programs in /etc/wpa_supplicant and decided I didn't want to spend the next 4 years in shell gulag in a re-education program.

Would one of you kind souls please point me in the direction of a modern, command line tool that would allow me to do the following:

- set the essid and pwd for wlan0 (like iwconfig)
    - set a static IP address (like ifconfig)
    - make these values stick for reboot
    - understand what config files control all this

Your help would be most appreciated.

_AW

Beans

Re: current command line wifi config tool?

bump.

Maybe such guides do not exist. Yes?

Beans

NetworkManager 0.8.1 includes a command line tool, nmcli. See this.

You may want to check first that nmcli does what you want, and download the current network-manager package first in case things horribly break and you need to roll back.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, mawhrin. I'll have to upgrade to 0.8.1 and try it out.

Beans

I'm in the same boat as you.

From the man page, it looks to me like nmcli doesn't support enough actions to be able to configure a wifi interface on its own. The assumption is that things like the password are managed by the nm-applet panel applet. It appears that with nmcli you can only bring the wifi interface up and down once it has already been configured in NetworkManager.

There is another cli interface to NetworkManager, called cnetworkmanager It is still available in Ubuntu, even though its author seems to have abandoned the project once nmcli came out. That application, written in Python, does seem to support configuring a wifi interface from scratch.

Truth is, it could be that the commands to configure a wifi are just missing from the nmcli man page, and nmcli would actually support the required commands if you know what they are. And the source code of cnetworkmanager might be a good source of information for that.

However, I am out of time for fiddling around with this. For now at least, I'm just going to to "nmcli nm enable false" and set up my network interfaces the old way in /etc/network/interfaces. That still works, fortunately.

Another good source of hints about NetworkManager is here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

If anyone has any more details about how to configure a wifi interface in NetworkManager without having to go through a GUI, please post it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

If you are aiming to get a server running without Gnome, or any other windowing manager for that matter, then Network Manager will not run; neither will Wicd. They are GUIs and require a running windowing manager, such as Gnome, KDE, etc.

A server running headless and or runlevel 3; that is, no windowing manager, will connect perfectly on boot with a properly populated /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf. Here are redacted examples from my computer:
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.108
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.254
    wpa-ssid myrouter
    wpa-psk mywpakey

#auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 192.168.1.254
    Post back if I can help further.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

@chili555 Thanks for posting that information! There are more examples here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318539

This is a desktop system, but it has a number of different users. Some of the users have special requirements: a few need to have networking disabled while they are logged in, one uses X without a desktop manager so cannot run nm-applet. I think the right thing to do is to stop NetworkManager from running at all, even though that probably means certain things will look a little broken for normal users. Please let me know if you have any other ideas.