Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open text editor as root

Beans

How to open text editor as root

The source of the problem is that I am running the latest version from a USB drive and having a sound problem. I have attempted to use various forms of Linux (including Ubuntu) in the past and been very frustrated. This time, things are going much better. I am able to get the wireless network running, which I was never able to do before (actually, I couldn't get any networking to function before) so right there is a huge, encouraging improvement.
    The last hardware hurdle this time is sound. When I plug in headphones under Ubuntu the main speakers stay on. I have found numerous things to try, but the most promising (and simple) approaches require editing what amounts to an ini file.
    Unfortunately this requires root login. I don't want to have to create multiple logins for this system. I don't want to log in as root all the time for security reasons while online, but I also like not having to enter username and password every time I open the computer at home. If I understand this correctly, once I enable root, I also need to create a limited account for "normal" operations that don't require root privileges. How can I do things as root when I need to but otherwise be able to just open the computer and start working without all the login nonsense? It doesn't help that I'm fifty and have enough IDs and passwords to remember as it is without adding unnecessary ones to the list.
    Thank you
    Last edited by mid_life_crisis; July 19th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Beans

Re: How to open text editor as root

A simple sudo gedit should do the trick. All you do is type your password (but don't close out of the terminal.
    For a full signature / about me, see my website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you want to enable the root account (not advised), then you can Google for it, but it is against the Forum Rules to show how here.

You can temporarily become a super user using sudo (Super User DO).
    gksudo is the graphical version. So, for example, if you want to open "nano", a terminal text editor, as a super user, you could type:

Code:
    sudo nano
    Or with a file:

Code:
    sudo nano /path/to/my/file
    For a graphical text editor, such as gedit:

Code:
    gksudo gedit
    Or:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /path/to/my/file

Hope this helps
    Everything that has a Beginning, has an End

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have one machine, where the speaker sound stays on after plugging headphones in..

And I "solved" the problem by manually selecting headphones as the audio out device, when I want the sound to come only from headphones..

the setting can be found from: (in 9.10 or 10.04)
    System>preferences>sound

(installing 10.04 would solve my problem properly)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I have one machine, where the speaker sound stays on after plugging headphones in..

And I "solved" the problem by manually selecting headphones as the audio out device, when I want the sound to come only from headphones..

System>preferences>sound

Wrong thread?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by louis--taylor View Post
    Wrong thread?
    The response is to the root cause of my problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post

System>preferences>sound

I am on 10.04 and do not have that option under audio properties. I found any number of posts with a line to add but have been unable to edit thus far.
    I'll try the offered advice regarding Sudo tonight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WRDN View Post
    /snip/
    You can temporarily become a super user using sudo (Super User DO).
    /snip/
    Interesting. I had assumed sudo was something clever like an alternate spelling for "pseudo root".
    I've seen this command before but have had trouble making it work. I'll give a whack at opening gedit from a command line tonight.
    Thank you.

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo << That explains how ubuntu's root/sudo system works.

Beans

Well can we login as an administrator itself during startup. I think there's this option of gdm.conf but its not available on the new ubuntu 10.04. Any solutions to login as a root? is it recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast