Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Mouse on 10.04

Beans

Magic Mouse on 10.04

I'm sure this question has been beaten to death, but is there a simple way to get the Apple Magic Mouse to play nice with 10.04? I've seen a few things that seem to work that I don't understand, and a lot of others that just go in circles. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, so I don't understand how a lot of this works. Heck, if someone can point me to a good walkthrough, that'd be helpful too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Magic Mouse on 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by Jratz91 View Post
    I'm sure this question has been beaten to death, but is there a simple way to get the Apple Magic Mouse to play nice with 10.04? I've seen a few things that seem to work that I don't understand, and a lot of others that just go in circles. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, so I don't understand how a lot of this works. Heck, if someone can point me to a good walkthrough, that'd be helpful too.
    I haven't had any trouble. Have you checked, that you have bluetooth configure correctly, and working?
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

I suppose I should elaborate. It clicks, it points, it doesn't scroll or work with MultiTouch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Jratz91 View Post
    I suppose I should elaborate. It clicks, it points, it doesn't scroll or work with MultiTouch.
    I maintain a backport of the Magic Mouse drivers for Maverick here: http://github.com/scottferg/multitouch

Just run
    Code:
    $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b
    to get a deb and you should have horizontal and vertical scrolling. Multitouch would require an Xorg driver and I don't believe anybody has stepped up to the plate to work on that yet. Or at least not in the Lucid world they haven't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just got my magic mouse and was expecting problems, but to my delight scrolling works out of the box. I'm running an up to date 10.10 (alpha?) with kernel 2.6.35-13. I guess all the drivers have been inserted into the new kernel. Haven't tried any 2-finger zooming etc as yet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jasev View Post
    I just got my magic mouse and was expecting problems, but to my delight scrolling works out of the box. I'm running an up to date 10.10 (alpha?) with kernel 2.6.35-13. I guess all the drivers have been inserted into the new kernel. Haven't tried any 2-finger zooming etc as yet.
    Yeah the package I posted up above is a backport from Maverick, so everything should work smoothly for you. Let us know how true multitouch features work, since Maverick also includes the multitouch Xorg drivers.

Beans

pleaaaaaase let us know if or how multitouch works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nilsja View Post
    pleaaaaaase let us know if or how multitouch works
    Also very curious. I'll be order a keyboard and mouse this afternoon and would love to know if the Magic Mouse multi touch is also working.

Update: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/AppleMagicMouse
    Last edited by carmelosantana; August 23rd, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added link

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carmelosantana View Post
    Also very curious. I'll be order a keyboard and mouse this afternoon and would love to know if the Magic Mouse multi touch is also working.

Update: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/AppleMagicMouse
    This is great! Unfortunately my backport is kernel drivers only and I'm sure that PyMT depends on the Xorg driver. Either way, this does mean that we'll have a gateway to multitouch functionality in Maverick, which is awesome.

As for my kernel driver, I'm trying to get a PPA setup. Been a bit busy though, sorry for the delays.

Beans
    Distro

Hardcore hacks ahoy. If you use my kernel driver and follow these instructions you can get PyMT up and running on Lucid. PyMT requires an application to be running on the desktop, but continues to accept input whether or not the app has focus (or is minimized). Because of this, I was able to hack together a rough implementation of multitouch gestures for the desktop.

Swiping left/right with two fingers will rotate the cube. Swiping down with three fingers will call up Expose. In order to use this you will need the Dbus, Scale, and Rotate Cube plugins enabled in Compiz. I also had to be a little dirty and apply:
    Code:
    $ sudo chmod a+r /dev/input/event7
    in order to run the app as the current user. Without this, Dbus can't connect to the running session.

Here's the Python file: http://gist.github.com/546779

PyMT installation instructions for Lucid: http://pymt.eu/wiki/DevGuide/InstallPymtUbuntu
    PyMT configuration instructions for Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/PyMT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast