Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

I'm Planing to buy this laptop Toshiba Satellite A500-1f4
    But I heard that Toshiba laptops isnt so good with linux
    And most people suggest HP or Dell if you gonna use Linux !!
    so any suggestions ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

I have an Equium A100-306 that works 100% under linux. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10.
    Yes I know it is not the "latest greatest" version, BUT it is stable & gives me NO problems.
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Wanas View Post
    I'm Planing to buy this laptop Toshiba Satellite A500-1f4
    But I heard that Toshiba laptops isnt so good with linux
    And most people suggest HP or Dell if you gonna use Linux !!
    so any suggestions ?

I am using ubuntu with Lenovo. It will work fine with Dell. Dell and Lenovo Laptops are coming with pre loaded Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Hello,

Probably, the best advice I can give you is....Research. Read, read, read and...do some more reading. I have seen people who has new Toshiba laptops and a ton of problems with it when it comes to loading Linux.

And trust people who own Toshiba laptops
    Processor: Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz. RAM: 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz. HDD: 160GB @ 5,400rpm. Wifi: Atheros b/g/n @ 2.4GHz. Display: 1240x600 @ 60Hz. GPU: Intel 945GME. Performance: Flawless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Toshiba laptops and a ton of problems with it when it comes to loading Linux
    Not just Toshibas, there seem to be a lot of 'silly' Lucid problems being posted here again & again on all makes.
    Linux Registered User #443947 Ubuntu Regestered User #12604

Hakunamatata ...... No worries !

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusR View Post
    Not just Toshibas, there seem to be a lot of 'silly' Lucid problems being posted here again & again on all makes.
    Perhaps my eyes are betraying me. Cos most of the time I open the hardware section it's either a Toshiba or an ATi that has the problem....but you are right. There have been a lot of silly problems.

Either way I hope a good choice is made.

(Excuse the Shakespearean......dunno why I said that..)
    Last edited by PresenceofMind; July 19th, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Processor: Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz. RAM: 1GB DDR2 @ 667MHz. HDD: 160GB @ 5,400rpm. Wifi: Atheros b/g/n @ 2.4GHz. Display: 1240x600 @ 60Hz. GPU: Intel 945GME. Performance: Flawless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It may work (or NOT). With recent models (this year), you may run in trouble with the BIOS, ACPI, Energy Management... But it still works.

Older models are normally well supported.

Beans

Hi, well I am also looking to buy a laptop and use Linux for the first time. I was thinking of getting a Thinkpad t61 off ebay, and I'm trying to aim for the ones with the nVidia graphics rather than ATI.

I keep hearing of lots of bugs with 10.04, and I am wondering as a complete newbie that has only ever used a Mac whether the Thinkpad was a bad idea, and if there are more newbie friendly laptops to attempt to install Ubuntu on?

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: Hows Toshiba Laptops with Linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by winegums View Post
    Hi, well I am also looking to buy a laptop and use Linux for the first time. I was thinking of getting a Thinkpad t61 off ebay, and I'm trying to aim for the ones with the nVidia graphics rather than ATI.

I keep hearing of lots of bugs with 10.04, and I am wondering as a complete newbie that has only ever used a Mac whether the Thinkpad was a bad idea, and if there are more newbie friendly laptops to attempt to install Ubuntu on?
    Greetings relatively-new-user,

If you are extremely worried about which laptop to get that will run Ubuntu, why not look for a netbook. I am only suggesting this because they have less things to go wrong.

Try to look for one that's got Intel everywhere lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PresenceofMind View Post
    Greetings relatively-new-user,

If you are extremely worried about which laptop to get that will run Ubuntu, why not look for a netbook. I am only suggesting this because they have less things to go wrong.

Try to look for one that's got Intel everywhere lol
    Should I be extremely worried? What's the probability it'll mainly work out of the box? I don't need gaming performance, I just want the internet via Android phone tethering. If worst comes to worst, I thought I could just stick Windows on it, or flog it back on eBay.

I did initially consider a netbook, but my colleague kept saying "just get an old laptop of eBay, you get more for your money", and I like a challenge :S
    Last edited by winegums; July 19th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast