Thread: C++ System Commands

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face C++ System Commands

Hello all.
    I recently got back into programming (I started but then gave up, and now that I have free time I got back into it). I am C++ programmer, and am still learning the ropes. I have a question, how do I get the system commands to work under Linux? I can't seem to get them to work. I want to be able to let the user clear the text so they can easily read the new output. Reading various things, on windows I should just to have to do this;
    Code:
    int main()
    {
    //code
    system("CLS");
    //code
    }
    I read for Linux that I need to do this;
    Code:
    int main()
    {
    //code
    system("clear");
    //code
    }
    But anytime I do that in my program, I just get an undefined error in g++. I'll assume the command should work but I am not using a correct library. Anyone want to help me out here?

Beans

Re: C++ System Commands

You're not including stdlib.h

That said, you shouldn't be using system() that way, since it's expensive (takes two processes -- shell and clear) and is not very robust. Use something like ncurses instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Some Penguin View Post
    You're not including stdlib.h

That said, you shouldn't be using system() that way, since it's expensive (takes two processes -- shell and clear) and is not very robust. Use something like ncurses instead.
    Well, since I am starting out hopefully you can forgive me. I'll take a look at ncurses though, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

<cstdlib>, not <stdlib.h>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Some Penguin View Post
    Let's generalize that to the following Law:

Code:
    Whenever you feel the need to interact with some external application using system(), 

1. First research whether a library can do the same.

2. If there's none, use popen(). 

3. If popen() isn't possible, use system() or implement it yourself.
    Use system() as a very last resort. It's better to have your program "inherit" the desired functionality from a library, so that it becomes "its own" and doesn't have to call another shell that you just don't control at all. popen() at least creates a new process to which you can feed input and from you can get output on demand... but not all programs use pipes.