Thread: Setting up a music server

Beans

Setting up a music server

I've been trying to set up a music server and running into some difficulty.

I want to be able to stream music and video to my network and over the internet.

From what I've read so far ampache is what I would like to use but I've yet to find a user friendly guide on how to set it up. I've never set up a server before so all of the guides and documentation have just confused the heck out of me.

I would really appreciate it if someone can explain how to set up ampache, or point me in the right direction to help me bridge the learning curve.

Thanks so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Setting up a music server

Me too...

I'm also trying to set up the ampache music server on ubuntu, however I'm afraid I need some guidance from someone who's done it before.
    Tried the installation wiki but continues to run into some troubles.

Anyone with experience in doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

im gonna be doing the same as soon as i find a quiet enough PC so it doesnt affect my parents too much, but im gonna try using the ubuntu server distro. apparently it does all the file sharing to both linux and windows maybe mac too cant remember, does however require a dedicated PC, so pull that heap of junk out the loft with 200Mb of RAM and put it to good use

dont know how you would go about it but maybe use a virtual machine to run the distro, but im pretty sure it has to be installed
    Last edited by badbradmx; August 4th, 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: thought about VM
    I have no idea what im doing but i enjoy the ride..........i think

i need to start proof reading my posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Truly the easiest and fastest music server youll ever setup in your life: edna

can be used on whatever distro you want. Built with python and so easy its a delight to setup!
    i use .ogg files!!
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans