thread dead? anyone?
    The Tim Taylor of Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by pierreyy View Post
    thread dead? anyone?
    I wish something would come of this. It is one of the few reasons I don't use linux on this laptop. I have a M645 with Nvidia Optimus, that is the other reason I don't use it. Of course, I've heard good things about bumblebee and being able to somewhat use Optimus. Still haven't tried it though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

For those who would like to at least enable it at boottime via grub, you can edit your GRUB config file ( /boot/grub/grub.cfg ).
    Copy your favorite menuentry{} block and edit one and add "acpi=off" to the end of the "linux /boot/..." line. (This has to be changed for every kernel upgrade)
    Unfortunately, off is the only option I get working. (I really wish "ht" would work). Besides hyperthreading, the OS doesn't know if the power is removed. The Fn keys and backlit screen still are as functional as they were before, and obviously, the keyboard works to the settings in BIOS.
    I say this because if you are like me, you are either at home all the time connected to constant power and cool lights would be awesome, or you are on the go and lights are a waste and you just need the battery control.

Beans

Mine worked great for the last 6 months or so and suddenly stopped less than a week ago. Soon after I upgraded to 3.0.0-??, but I can't be sure that's exactly when it happened. What could have happened to break it? I miss it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just upgraded from 10.04 where non of the lights on my sattelite worked to the new 11.10 release of ubuntu with the 3.0+ kernel. What is particularly interesting is that the light above my mousepad and the light in the "sattelite" logo in the bottom left-hand corner of my laptop now work well. the keyboard continues to lack any lighting however. Maybe it is worth asking the relevant people what changes were made to the LEDs and lights configuration in ACPI in the 3.0+ kernel, or maybe asking canonical what changed in 11.10. Can someone run lucid or 10.10 on kernel 3.0+ to see what makes the difference? what are other peoples experiences with this?

Beans

for satellite p755-10g in ubuntu 10.10 , as it mentioned, after grub BK turns of and FN+z key doesnt work. but other FN combinations are working. now i am trying to disable acpi. so lets wait to see what becomes.

edit: i couldnt find acpi setting in bios. so keyboard backlight is still turned of.
    Last edited by mrcan321; November 15th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

If you want to disable acpi you can change the Grub entry for a load option (os build that your loading) I think it's in bootloader/grub/etc/grub.conf, but you would find the line ACPI=force in your grub.conf, change that to ACPI=no . Also if you can enter variables into your load option before starting (you have a little bar you can type into before you select the load option) you could just type ACPI=no there as well. (Grubconf the program found in repos will let you set this up easily). However BE WARNED disabling ACPI will also shut off things that deal with power(battery power reader, back screen light, and several other things.) You will enter into the plugged in default power settings, but will recieve no notice if your battery dies, It'll just shutoff or power down. This is a reason why this option doesn't work for me, but I hope this could help you.

Beans

Talking Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Hi all,

I would like to say big thank you for investigating and finally for finding the way of enablig this keyboard.

I'm working on Toshiba A665-3DV laptop, with the Ubuntu Linux 10.04 changed without reinstall to the Ubuntu Mint 11.04, which works great and has a nice menu

I defined an additional entry in the grub.conf file for base config, with options added: acpi=off for the kernel line, and just to be sure, in another line, I set acpi=off.

This indeed disabled ACPI support, so now I have:
    - keyboard highlight working nicely
    - still no Fn+Z key working (as usual)
    - unfortunately only the single CPU was found, with base clock set to 1.73 GHz (so it is hot and coolers spins on making quite a noise)
    - maybe some other issues, which I did not notice yet.

Anyway, the keyboard works and I can work in darkness at night! The setting added for the second config in Grub satisfies myself nearly completely.

The last comment is that this whole issue is rather silly and definitely should not have SO LOW priority. This key highlight was one of the things I looked for before I bought this laptop. And now it's solved only on this f****d ms windows, while we - real Linux users, have to suffer...

Thank you all for help and this nice thread. I'll wait until this will be solved (unfortunately I'm unable to help with hacking)

GL & HF! Linux RULEZ because of it's community!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unashamed bump for this important thread. It might seem low priority, but this feature is extremely important to many people and if we can get it working will help create a better linux user experience for all toshiba computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hydrox24 View Post
    Unashamed bump for this important thread. It might seem low priority, but this feature is extremely important to many people and if we can get it working will help create a better linux user experience for all toshiba computers.
    bump +1
    The Tim Taylor of Ubuntu!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast