Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Toshiba A665 Laptop -- Illuminated Backlit Keyboard

This trick worked for my Toshiba Satellite P740. Thanks.

Beans

There is a way to make keyboard backlight work in toshiba qosmio x770, I didn't tried in other toshiba computer, but I suppose it works too.
    If you install windows (in my case I installed windows 7), just a clean install, without installing nothing, the lights work all the time in ubuntu, but you cannot turn them off, just in bios.

Beans

Have any of you guys tried booting up a windows install dvd and then pressing the keyboard backlight key on top of the keyboard? I did this and it worked for my toshiba satellite p755 s5265. You may not notice a change immediately, but after reboot into ubuntu, keyboard lights are on.

I have only ubuntu and mint installed.

Beans

There is a simple solution for toshiba backlight, found it long ago, just didn't knew it's such a big problem until I returned to Debian
    try to add

blacklist toshiba_acpi

module to /etc/modprobe.d/

This module appeared somewhere in the beginnig of kernel 3.0, previously there wasn't any module for toshiba. I was looking at changes in kernel a lot in the past (because they were working on WiFi network card) and as soon as this module appeared it turned out it's for newer toshiba laptops (those with EFI BIOS). You can check the source code if you don't believe me (could changed since that time, I didn't have time to look at it since then)

Default ACPI is still working fine. Just don't forget to reboot, because rmmod -f toshiba_acpi won't solve the problem

After removing that module all works fine: acpi, backlight Fn+Z shortcut, all other shortcuts (except Eco key)

Beans

Mesiu I tried your solution but it doesn't work for me (toshiba u940-103): blacklisting toshiba_acpi disable every function key in my model, including screen brightness... It seems to be hard to make this backlight working... So afraid, everything works well with 13.10 on this machine! But I still can't see my keyboard in the darkness!

Beans

Just tested the blacklist toshiba solution in ubuntu 14.04 and it didn t worked for me , this time even the logo of the keyboard stopped appearing when i was pressing FN+Z.
    Another very strange thing i would like to share (tested only in 13.10) is that if i install kernel 3.9.5 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and boot up , the keyboard light is on
    and stays on in every kernel until i log on in windows.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011