Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamonkey broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Seamonkey broken

Recently, I installed Lucid. The quick and dirty is I cannot get Seamonkey to work. Period.

I used the Synaptic Package Manager to install Seamonkey.
    Unfortunately, this was Seamonkey 2.0.4, while the latest stable build is actually 2.0.5.

So I have tried to install Seamonkey 2.0.5 following the directions here:
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...e#Installation

I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mozilla-build
    Then I did these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    This is what was returned after the upgrade command:
    Code:
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      libusb-0.1-4 libvte-common libvte9 python-vte seamonkey seamonkey-browser
      seamonkey-chatzilla seamonkey-mailnews
    8 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 14.8MB of archives.
    After this operation, 20.5kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    I entered 'y' and the upshot of it is that a replacement Seamonkey was installed that appears to be the right version. However in my Application -> Internet menu, I now have THREE Seamonkeys, one called "Mozilla Build of Seamonkey," and NONE of them work when selected.

Here is a dump of what was on my terminal as it was installing, in case it is any help.

Code:
    Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main libusb-0.1-4 2:0.1.12-14ubuntu0.2 [20.5kB]
    Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main libvte-common 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1 [41.2kB]
    Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main libvte9 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1 [554kB]
    Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main python-vte 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1 [16.5kB]
    Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe seamonkey-mailnews 2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 [1,832kB]
    Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe seamonkey-chatzilla 2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 [355kB]
    Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe seamonkey-browser 2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 [12.0MB]
    Get:8 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/universe seamonkey 2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 [25.8kB]
    Fetched 14.8MB in 1min 25s (174kB/s)                                           
    (Reading database ... 196856 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libusb-0.1-4 2:0.1.12-14ubuntu0.1 (using .../libusb-0.1-4_2%3a0.1.12-14ubuntu0.2_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libusb-0.1-4 ...
    Preparing to replace libvte-common 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1 (using .../libvte-common_1%3a0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libvte-common ...
    Preparing to replace libvte9 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1 (using .../libvte9_1%3a0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libvte9 ...
    Preparing to replace python-vte 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1 (using .../python-vte_1%3a0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement python-vte ...
    Preparing to replace seamonkey-mailnews 2.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (using .../seamonkey-mailnews_2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement seamonkey-mailnews ...
    Preparing to replace seamonkey-chatzilla 2.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (using .../seamonkey-chatzilla_2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement seamonkey-chatzilla ...
    Preparing to replace seamonkey-browser 2.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (using .../seamonkey-browser_2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement seamonkey-browser ...
    Preparing to replace seamonkey 2.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (using .../seamonkey_2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement seamonkey ...
    Processing triggers for python-support ...
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Setting up libusb-0.1-4 (2:0.1.12-14ubuntu0.2) ...

Setting up libvte-common (1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    Setting up libvte9 (1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1) ...

Setting up python-vte (1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1) ...

Setting up seamonkey-browser (2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1) ...

Setting up seamonkey-mailnews (2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1) ...

Setting up seamonkey-chatzilla (2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1) ...

Setting up seamonkey (2.0.5+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1) ...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    grace@hermione:~$

I am really quite clueless about this and would appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    G.
    Last edited by graceful1; July 16th, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Wrong version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Seamonkey broken

What is the output from the command line when you type

Code:
    seamonkey
    ?
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If it was my system I would open synaptic and search for seamonkey. Then I would uninstall and remove every instance of seamonkey I found. Then I would go to my home folder and find the .mozilla folder and delete the semonkey folder inside it. Then I would install the seamonkey mozilla-build. This will not save any bookmarks you may have had but if you have never gotten it to work maybe you do not yet have bookmarks to save.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chrissharp123 View Post
    What is the output from the command line when you type

Code:
    seamonkey
    ?

The cursor blinks for a few seconds and then I get the prompt, so in a word, nothing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    If it was my system I would open synaptic and search for seamonkey. Then I would uninstall and remove every instance of seamonkey I found. Then I would go to my home folder and find the .mozilla folder and delete the semonkey folder inside it. Then I would install the seamonkey mozilla-build. This will not save any bookmarks you may have had but if you have never gotten it to work maybe you do not yet have bookmarks to save.
    I did exactly what you said, and unfortunately, it still doesn't work. I have a "Seamonkey" and a "Mozilla build of Seamonkey" in the Applications -> Internet menu, and neither one works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ok well lets try this shall we... first lets get rid of sea monkey from your system...

Code:
    sudo aptitude purge seamonkey
    Then lets try to find a ppa...
    You can follow me at my blog.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    Oh ****. I just realized that I deleted the entire .mozilla folder. I think this is very bad. Now what do I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What you have deleted is settings for Firefox, Thunderbird if you have it installed and Seamonkey. The folder will come back but without any settings. You will have to do your bookmarks and add ons again. Not a problem unless you do not have your bookmarks backed up. If you have seamonkey listed in the menu it was not removed in synaptic. The above command to remove and purge should do it. Then you should be working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Um do you understand what seamonkey is? It is firefox thunderbird sunbird an IRC client and a html editor in one... you just could install firefox thunderbird and sunbird and get the same functionality..
    You can follow me at my blog.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by techunit View Post
    ok well lets try this shall we... first lets get rid of sea monkey from your system...

Code:
    sudo aptitude purge seamonkey
    Then lets try to find a ppa...

I would love to find a ppa, but so far I have not. I have retried adding Ubuntuzilla's source to my sources list and then doing "sudo apt-get install seamonkey". It seems to install okay, but then when I select Applications --> Internet --> Mozilla Build of Seamonkey, it TRIES to start -- that is, you see the tab at the bottom of the screen saying "Starting Mozilla Build of Seamonkey", but then the tab disappears, and the browser is not running.

Entering "seamonkey" at the command line does nothing as well.
    Last edited by graceful1; July 22nd, 2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Needed more explanation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast