Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Internet Speed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    20

    Internet Speed

    Hello everyone, I would like help with the Internet speed ;S
    I have couple of questions and I hope it's going to be easy for you to answer.
    Question 1: I would like to know what's the difference between downloading a program or a piece of software through the terminal and downloading it via the web browser.

    Question2: I would really appreciate it if someone would help me and check the Skype downloading page. I'm trying to download Skype, I've tried through the terminal and through the web browser and the downloading percentage keeps on stopping at 14% for some odd reason.

    Question 3: Why when downloading through the terminal it sucks the whole internet speed and takes it in download. The pages dies before it's loaded and takes maybe an hour to view it's content. However when download is over, it goes back quick. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,609
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Speed

    1: It is slightly faster to download via CLI (command Line Interface)

    2: it's flying here (also; is it available through the "Software Center" because it is in Mint's)

    3 The CLI takes full priority of your Internet in my experience
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    20

    Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by ubunterooster View Post
    1: It is slightly faster to download via CLI (command Line Interface)

    2: it's flying here (also; is it available through the "Software Center" because it is in Mint's)

    3 The CLI takes full priority of your Internet in my experience
    Thanks for the quick answers.
    Alright, by the Software Center you mean Synaptic Package Manager?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,609
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Speed

    No, the "Ubuntu Software Center"
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    20

    Re: Internet Speed

    Thanks again. However now I'm facing another problem. The problem is that when I was installing it for the first time, and it stopped at that certain percentage, I closed the terminal through the X button. And now, it's giving me an error about it. I would like to know how to solve it.

    Previous installation hasn't been completed

    The installation could have failed because of an error in the corresponding software package or it was cancelled in an unfriendly way. You have to repair this before you can install or remove any further software.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,609
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Speed

    I had this error seen before here:


    [QUOTE=zvacet;9157847]In applications>accessories>terminal type

    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and

    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    If you get any errors from these commands,please post them here.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    20

    Re: Internet Speed

    [QUOTE=ubunterooster;9590847]I had this error seen before here:


    Quote Originally Posted by zvacet View Post
    In applications>accessories>terminal type

    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    and

    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    If you get any errors from these commands,please post them here.
    Thanks really really much man. And I just used the first command and it worked fine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,609
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Speed

    Excellent! Glad to have helped.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    Re: Internet Speed

    Re #2: Having spent literally days trying to get Skype to work with Isadora/Lucid, I have concluded that it is a complete waste of time until the Skype people get their act together and release a better version for Linux. I've corresponded with Skype tech. support, looked for answers in various places, all to no avail. The best I could get was very sketchy sound from microphone input -- completely useless.

    Many others share my lack of enthusiasm for the latest version of Skype. Save your energy for exploring software that actually works.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    /usr/share/your_fridge
    Beans
    1,609
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    Re #2: Having spent literally days trying to get Skype to work with Isadora/Lucid, I have concluded that it is a complete waste of time until the Skype people get their act together and release a better version for Linux. I've corresponded with Skype tech. support, looked for answers in various places, all to no avail. The best I could get was very sketchy sound from microphone input -- completely useless.

    Many others share my lack of enthusiasm for the latest version of Skype. Save your energy for exploring software that actually works.
    I got mine form the Mint Software center and have no problem (in test call)
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

    Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •