Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi install boots to blank screen, grub boot options needed?

Beans

Unhappy Wubi install boots to blank \ black screen, grub boot options needed?

After going through the windows install dialogs for wubi the computer restarts and from the boot menu I select ubuntu which starts the installer. The black and white ubuntu logo comes on the screen for a 15 sec or so then goes blank but the harddrive is still active intermittently. If I wait 5 min or so the computer will restart, at which point I assume it installed the ubuntu.

After the restart and I select ubuntu from the boot menu, ubuntu boots back into the black and white ubuntu logo then the screen goes blank again but this time if I wait it still does nothing with no hard drive activity. If I press "Ctrl+Alt+F1" or "Ctrl+Alt+F2" at the blank screen it does nothing. If I reboot and select recovery from the grub boot menu I can boot to a command prompt, if I type "startx" the screen goes blank again. I though I may need to correct a monitor setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but the file does not exist.

Do I need to add a boot option in the grub menu (by pressing e) to fix a hardware or monitor incompatibility? I do not have a clue what options to try or where I need to add them (at the top or bottom of all the commands?) Any help?

Computer setup, custom built:
    Intel Core i5, socket 1156
    ASUS P7P55D, intel P55 express chipset
    4Gb Ram, DDR3, 1600Mhz
    750gb harddrive with two partitions, ubuntu installed to second partition
    nvidia 9500GT
    dual LCDs
    Windows 7

Things I have tried:
    1) Ubuntu 32 & 64-bit, same problem

2) Kubuntu, same problem

3) Removing compiz & compiz-core, same problem
    This idea was suggested in this thread, even though the computer is not a Emachine i figured I would try it since he was having the same problem

4) running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" command, does nothing: same problem

5) running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg.conf" command, does nothing: same problem

6) Just tried Live CD; has the same problem!
    Here is a big clue to the problem. If I hit F4 from the Live CD initial boot prompt and select "Safe graphics mode" I am able to boot the Live CD.

7) Safe graphics mode wubi install, same problem
    After going through the wubi setup in windows and rebooting I hit ESC directly after selecting ubuntu from the boot menu, I then select "safe graphics mode". This does not fix the problem like it does with the Live CD
    Last edited by Luke S; March 28th, 2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added more details

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wubi install boots to blank screen, grub boot options needed?

I'm having the same problem, except I don't see the Ubuntu logo. It goes straight to a blank screen. But it does the same thing that you described, reading the hard drive for a few minutes, rebooting, then not reading the hard drive.

Beans

TTT. I edited the post with a few more things I have tried, haven't been able to get anything to work.

Beans

Here is a big clue to the problem. If I hit F4 from the Live CD initial boot prompt and select "Safe graphics mode" I am able to boot the Live CD! Now how do I apply the safe graphics mode to the wubi install?

Beans

I'm having a similar problem on my Dell 1520 laptop with nv 8400gs graphics card. I'm fairly sure it's some kind of graphics card issue. As soon as I select Ubuntu (also tried with Kubuntu), it tries to complete the installation and gives a short timer. It then goes to a blank screen. Occasionally I get a vertical stripe with some corrupt image partially visible. I'm fairly sure it's not detecting the display properly.

I once got to a point where I actually heard some sort of intro sound. I haven't used Linux in a couple of years... the last time I used Ubuntu I had a bunch of trouble getting sound to work... so from the little I've managed to get it to work at least that has improved but without being able to have basic display detection working... I might just have to stick to Windows for now

Beans

Same issue here - was running v9.10 on a HP Pavilion ZE4900 with no issues & attempted a clean install to v10.04 and got the blank-screen-o-death...

Just to be sure I didn't mess up anything, I loaded my XP PRO install disk, wiped any partitions and re-loaded v9.10 with NO ISSUES.

So obviously there is something amiss w/ v10.04

Beans

** BUMP **

Anyone with any input here...?

Beans

I'm getting the same thing from both wubi install and fresh install off cd (and also tried usb flashdisk).

After selecting 'Install Ubuntu', it reads from the installation media, and then goes into a blank screen.

Running on a Del Inspiron (from about 4 years ago). Will find out model details and graphics card details when I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You should go to the Installations subforum and read through the pinned thread on Testing Wubi 10.04. You might find a fix for the problems you're having with Wubi.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Mark, thanks for the input - however, the point that most of us are trying to make here is this: Ubuntu ran great on v8.x and v9.x using the same hardware setups - however, v10.x cannot install correctly for whatever reason.

The answer that I want to hear from this forum is this: there is an issue that was detected with the v10.x install and will be corrected in the near future.

I love me some Ubuntu but issues like this - simple install issues - frustrate me and many others. Sorry to vent by I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet this morning . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast