Thread: Relation between fdisk and fstab

Beans

Relation between fdisk and fstab

Since installing 10.4 I've been having startup problems: I get a message requiring me to press S to mount various disks.

Something which I've never really understood is: what is the relation between fdisk and fstab?

At present fdisk gives sda1 and sda2 as my Linux partitions, sdb1 and sdb2 as my Windows partitions. fstab has:
    /dev/sda1 /media/winboot ntfs
    /dev/sda2 /media/windata ntfs
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 ext3
    /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2 ntfs
    /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 swap
    which looks a bit sus to me.

Am I supposed to make my fstab match fdisk, or does fstab modify the result of fdisk when it boots, or what?
    Thanks
    Tony

Beans

Re: Relation between fdisk and fstab

fdisk displays the partition tables it can detect on the disks you have in your machine and lists them in the order that the disks are detected at boot time; this is why sda and sdb are not fixed identifiers, and the two can switch. For this reason, it is a better idea to use Universally Unique Identifiers (UUIDs) to identify partitions in your fstab file.

To list your partitions UUIDs, open up a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    This command will list the information it can find about the partitions in your system, such as current device IDs (sda#/sdb#), UUIDs and labels. The UUID is the best identifier, as it doesn't change (unless you force the partition to generate a new UUID). To get fstab to use UUIDs, you just need to change the "/dev/sdXX" to "UUID=<UUID here>".

Oh, and fstab is just a list of filesystems that you want your system to know about, this includes partitions. If it has an entry in fstab, you can mount a partition automatically at boot time.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Re: Relation between fdisk and fstab

Thanks WorMzy. Fixed everything.
    Tony