Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Advice: Which cheap netbook to choose?

Hello experts

I've been thinking about getting a netbook to use when I'm "out in the field" (giving support at users home) and I need something light, cheap and most importantly 100 % Linux compatible. I'm going to run Ubuntu netbook on it and use it to stuff like Wireshark to troubleshoot Ethernet, WiFi, etc.

So far I'm looking on the Asus Eee PC 1001PX (Seashell).

Any advice?
    Last edited by TheForumTroll; July 14th, 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

System 76 has netbooks that are 100% compatible with Ubuntu, but they are slightly overpriced.
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm in Denmark so shipping it would make it even more expensive
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Beans

whatever u do, do NOT get the eMachines eM250-1915...I cannot get Ubuntu 10.04 to boot no matter WHAT I do

Ubuntu 9.10 does however boot perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If you don't mind the 160GB hdd and Windows XP the Asus 1005ha should save you ~$120US. I'm currently running it and everything is 100% Linux compatible.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure I understand you correct. According to the Asus website the 1005HA has a 250GB harddisk and it is also more expensive than the 1001PX which only has a 160GB disk.
    Last edited by TheForumTroll; July 14th, 2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added links.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think there are several iterations of the 1005 and 1001. I was looking at Amazon.com which had a 1001P for $320US and a 1005HA for $270US.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: Advice: What cheap netbook to choose?

Compaq CQ10-101SA.... Ubuntu 10.04 LTS works like a charm on this

Beans

I got the Asus 1005PE and everything works pretty good. It also has really great battery life.

Beans
    Hidden!

gmrple:
    I think the difference is because we are looking at two different models: your are looking at the P model and the one I found is the PX model. I haven't been able to find any P models for sale here.

The Asus 1005PE costs 15 % more where I live than the 1001PX. I'm not sure it is worth it for what I'm going to need.

AltomineUK:
    The only Compaq I have found in the shops I use, costing approximatively the same as the Eee, is the HP Compaq Mini 110c-1101SO. I have no idea if it runs Linux too.

I have been recommended the Samsung np-nc10 and I might be able to get one used. Acording to this it seems to work fine with Ubuntu too. Anyone tried it? So far it is between the Samsung np-nc10 and the Asus 1001PX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast