Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Question about Android phones

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Beans
    382
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Question about Android phones

    I'm getting a decent paying job, and thinking about upgrading my phone. Currently have a LG Dare, and I want to get an Android phone (probably the Droid X). I'm going to buy my own individual plan (currently I'm on a family plan) and I'm pretty sure I can get 450 min with unlimited texting, data, and web for $90/month (Verizon Plans). I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS functions of the phone, or would I have to pay extra for it? If someone has and Android phone, and could check this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    You think you're doing some damage? Two plus two is... Ten. IN BASE FOUR! I'M FINE!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    466

    Re: Question about Android phones

    AS far as I kow GPS comes free with my contract... but you'd need to ask someone who uses Verizon. Android is a great pick by the way... I have and HTC desire and I love it. If you can get an Android that also has a hardware keyboard I would go for that. Just make sure the CPU is fast

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Beans
    430
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Quote Originally Posted by redfox1160 View Post
    I'm getting a decent paying job, and thinking about upgrading my phone. Currently have a LG Dare, and I want to get an Android phone (probably the Droid X). I'm going to buy my own individual plan (currently I'm on a family plan) and I'm pretty sure I can get 450 min with unlimited texting, data, and web for $90/month (Verizon Plans). I was wondering, would I be able to use the GPS functions of the phone, or would I have to pay extra for it? If someone has and Android phone, and could check this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    I have the HTC DROID Incredible and GPS is included at no additional cost. With Verizon, it depends on the phone you get really. All Android phones come with GPS for free.

    My understanding of why this is, is because you are not using VZNavigator. You are using a 3rd-Party (Google) company for navigation.
    Last edited by Excedio; July 14th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Beans
    382
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    AS far as I kow GPS comes free with my contract... but you'd need to ask someone who uses Verizon. Android is a great pick by the way... I have and HTC desire and I love it. If you can get an Android that also has a hardware keyboard I would go for that. Just make sure the CPU is fast
    I was considering the original droid because it had a hardware keyboard, but I really like the Droid X. Is there a reason you suggest a hardware keyboard?
    You think you're doing some damage? Two plus two is... Ten. IN BASE FOUR! I'M FINE!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Beans
    466

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Yeah, I'm clumsy and sometimes find on-screen keyboards hard to use, espcially while travelling in a vehicle or walking. It was the same when I had a Windows Mobile phone. My backup phone is a nokia E63 with a hardware qwerty keyboard and I can type faster and more accurately on that because i can feel the keys. I prefer typing on that to typing on my desire (and the desire has a pretty big screen). Might just be me though.
    Last edited by Johnsie; July 14th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Beans
    430
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    Yeah, I'm clumsy and sometimes find on-screen keyboards hard to use, espcially while travelling in a vehicle or walking. It was the same when I had a Windows Mobile phone. My backup phone is a nokia E63 with a hardware qwerty keyboard and I can type faster and more accurately on that because i can feel the keys. I prefer typing on that to typing on my desire (and the desire has a pretty big screen). Might just be me though.
    I was the same way at first. Not that I have the virtual keyboard only, I find that I am faster then with a hardware keyboard. It's all about getting used to your new keyboard. As for feeling the keys...you can (sort of) with force feedback enabled.

    Same concept applies to going from a Motorola Q9c keyboard to a BB Curve keyboard. All about training yourself.

    I will say this though...Having a physical keyboard is a benefit if you're trying to use the terminal on your phone. he virtual keyboard will take up the bottom half og the screen while the physical will leave the full screen open. Although, if you're getting a Droid X...I wouldn't worry about it. Screen is HUGE!
    Last edited by Excedio; July 14th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Beans
    430
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Quote Originally Posted by redfox1160 View Post
    I was considering the original droid because it had a hardware keyboard, but I really like the Droid X. Is there a reason you suggest a hardware keyboard?
    If you're considering the original Moto Droid...I would be patient and wait for the Droid 2 to release. Better hardware specs and rumored to have a better physical keyboard.

    Droid 2 Leak.
    Last edited by Excedio; July 14th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Syracuse
    Beans
    502
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Question about Android phones

    its going to cost more then $90 a month because your going to also have to get a data plan which cost $30 a month also keep in mind that the price they tell you will be before taxes and other fees

    also don't get unlimited text. Get a google voice account and then get the google voice app and use that to send and receive text using the data you already pay for. You can also make and receive phone calls using google voice but you I don't think you will be able to get in calling using it because you will be using a google phone number. Also if you do that do not set up google voice to forward calls to your phone or you will get text messages twice.

    I have the original Motorola and its great and its still part of a family plan and I'm definitely saving money because of the family plan. So maybe you shouldn't get your own plan.

    http://voice.google.com/

    I hope you enjoy your new phone
    Dan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Unlimited data? If I'm not mistaken, Verizon and ATT no longer offer unlimited data.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Beans
    430
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Question about Android phones

    Quote Originally Posted by metalf8801 View Post
    its going to cost more then $90 a month because your going to also have to get a data plan which cost $30 a month also keep in mind that the price they tell you will be before taxes and other fees

    also don't get unlimited text. Get a google voice account and then get the google voice app and use that to send and receive text using the data you already pay for. You can also make and receive phone calls using google voice but you I don't think you will be able to get in calling using it because you will be using a google phone number. Also if you do that do not set up google voice to forward calls to your phone or you will get text messages twice.

    I have the original Motorola and its great and its still part of a family plan and I'm definitely saving money because of the family plan. So maybe you shouldn't get your own plan.

    http://voice.google.com/

    I hope you enjoy your new phone
    Dan
    Just have to set it to forward the call to the VZW number or just get the Google Voice app. It has an option to place receive all calls through Google Voice and essentially turn off the phones native calling.

    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeylover View Post
    Unlimited data? If I'm not mistaken, Verizon and ATT no longer offer unlimited data.
    They do, but may be doing away with it. I say, get the unlimited now and then be grandfathered in when it's no longer unlimited.
    Last edited by Excedio; July 14th, 2010 at 04:01 PM.
    My Ubuntu Blog
    My Android Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •