Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 on dell precision M6500

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 on dell precision M6500

No, no progress about XD card.
    Finally, I feel that 10.04 has many bugs and is not able to deal with the latest hardwares (fingerprint, touchpad, card reader, etc...). Hope this will be corrected in next release.

Cheers,
    G.

Beans

Dear all,

I copy-paste here the description of a pb on boot that also affects me somethimes. Do you get same kind of freezing and has one of you find any solution? Seems its not only on M6500 but all PC under ubuntu 10.04.

"Occasionally my Ubuntu 10.04 PC won't boot properly. It gets past Grub and then stops at a blank screen and blinking cursor. From what I've read, this blinking cursor screen is presented by Ubuntu itself and not Grub, so I assume the boot process gets halted for some reason. Has anyone any guidance on how to diagnose this issue or what the cause is likely to be? Normally I need to press the reset button to reboot the PC and often it will reboot fine. The fact that it is intermittent is what confuses me."

Thanks very much!
    G.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoulf View Post
    Do you get same kind of freezing and has one of you find any solution? Seems its not only on M6500 but all PC under ubuntu 10.04.
    I have had this kind of freezing a couple of times, but not in the last couple of weeks (or even months?) anymore... My guess is that it's some kind of hardware initialization timing issue. I have not searched for a fix, as it doesn't happen that often.

Greetings,
    Thijs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atkaper View Post
    Hi Nataraj,

Here are the modules loaded on my system, if there's any speed improvements possible, I'm of course interested to hear about them

Greetings,
    Thijs
    I don't see any of the SATA drivers that are on the kernel.org website loaded on your system. I'm sure there's a driver loaded, I just don't recognize it.

My understanding is that there is a way to change the bios on the m6500 to use the native Intel device instead of generic emulation. I would definitely backup my disks before changing this setting.

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph..._driver_status

Nataraj
    Last edited by nataraj88; September 1st, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Beans

Hi,

I run Ubuntu 10.4 64 bit on a Dell Precision M6500.
    Everything works great on my system but the Standby: once it goes in standby it cannot wake up.
    Wake up process starts but stop after few seconds. I can see a line of coloured dots at the top of the screen but the laptop is freezed and I have to switch it off.

In few (very rare) cases, it happened to work well, but usually it freezes.

Do your M6500 standby function work well?

Cheers,
    Maurizio

Beans

Hey guys. Just did a clean install of 10.10 and am sad to report that I am having the SAME EXACT issues CD/DVD drive wont detect blank DVDs, touchpad is erratic, all the issues present in 10.04 seem to have carried over. Still testing stuff out, and I'll keep you updated, but its not looking good

Beans

Hi,
    Upgraded from 10.04 32bits to 10.10. At least one good news: microphone bug is solved without need of ppa alsa versions.
    Haven't tested other stuff yet

Beans

Hi again,
    Lot's of noise about multitouch in ubuntu 10.10....but how to enable/test it? Installed utouch (not by default) but then??? Serious lack of info here!!

Beans

Have you tested out you CD/DVD drive? Its never worked for me... Also, I would also like the info on enabling multitouch - my trackpad is still buggy Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Subscribed.

How is the video performance in 10.10 with an ATI M7740?

I have a M6500 with
    Core i7 Q820
    12 GB RAM
    ATI M7740

Thanks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast