Thread: What is the latest on ATI Radeon X1250?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What is the latest on ATI Radeon X1250?

Hi there,

Newbie here. I've been looking for information on how to install a proper ATI Radeon X1250 driver on my Ubuntu Lucid Linux. All I can find is pretty old info that deals with previous versions of Ubuntu. I'd be very thankful if someone could direct me to a piece of up-to-date information about how to check what ATI driver Ubuntu has automatically installed, and how to choose a better one if possible.

Thanks!

S.p.

Beans

Re: What is the latest on ATI Radeon X1250?

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...de#The_Options

Your card is considered "legacy" by ATI, so Catalyst/fglrx no longer supports it. The default "radeon" driver is probably the best, though you can try the xorg-edgers PPA if you can live with possible breakage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ah, I see. Apparently installing such optional driver is what I had done, though I have no idea how!

Thanks for the reply!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have new question. I have decided to give the X.org thing a try. The guide Temüjin has kindly pointed me to says:

<<Installing Open Source Edge Drivers

These packages are built regularly from the X.Org git repository, so they may not be fully stable. On Lucid, using this graphics stack now uses the r300g Gallium3D driver for 3D acceleration on Radeon R300-R500 (Radeon 9500 - Radeon X1950) class chips. It's probably a good idea to use the linux kernel provided by this repo if you go this route.
    To install:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    $ sudo apt-get update
    Now you can update your packages using Synaptic or Update Manager.>>

My questio nis... What exactly should I look for in the Synaptic? There are a lot of ATI things listed there, now, and none of them refers explicitly to my card.

Beans

You don't need to do anything special (just upgrade your packages and restart). You can even do it from the command-line (close Synaptic first):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Right. Thanks a lot!

Being a total newbie, I should also ask... if it doesn't work, how do I go back to the default drivers? Remove every X.org-related package from the Synaptic thingy?

EDIT: Alas, it indeed didn't work. 3D is obviously much faster, but I get a lot of buggy little squares across my screen... Incidently, when I was rebooting I could see an error report being displayed, which was too quick for my eyes; and next Ubuntu goes on to make a test in my HD...
    Last edited by Struwelpeter; July 17th, 2010 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

To revert to the regular packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge xorg-edgers
    You can then go into System -> Administration -> Software Sources and disable/remove the xorg-edgers PPA (under the 3rd-party software tab).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Worked. Thanks!