Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable Brand of Mp3 Player?

Beans

Most Reliable Brand of Mp3 Player?

Well i've just had my second sansa mp3 player brick and looking to sell it and get something different when I get my replacement. I don't really want anything that needs propietary software to work properly like a ipod or zune. i don't want to risk apple releasing a software update for the touch that makes it useless on ubuntu. want to get an 8gb+ mp3 player with great battery life and good ui. I would prefer the music to not have to be tagged to show up properly so that i can just drag and drop music onto the device. what would you get?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Most Reliable Brand of Mp3 Player?

What were you doing when your device bricked? Why would you sell a broken device? I'm just curious because I have never had problems with sansa devices and neither have 3 other people I know that have owned them.

I've heard good things about Archos players.

Beans

i'm having it repaired then i'm gonna sell the unit i get back. the headphone jack is broken on the current fuze. on my old one i added some music too it and it just never got past refreshing database. i went ahead and formatted it and upgraded firmware and still won't work. i really don't want to get another sansa.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

I have been happy with Sony Walkman's. I used one for around six years and it survived several drops and so on. I only replaced it because the storage was quite small. My new Walkman is doing fine as well and works great with Banshee too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I've had two Sandisk players that lasted me years and one Cowon player that didn't last very long. I'd recommend Sandisk, except you apparently had a bad experience with Sandisk already.
    Last edited by aysiu; July 12th, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I love my Cowon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    I love my Cowon
    Agreed. I've had a Cowon X5 for... four or five years now, and it's still working properly. It's been shaken around in pockets with keys, used in temperatures ranging from -30 to +30, partially submerged, and dropped onto concrete from wait-height.

The only serious maintenance that's been done to it are:

- replacing the battery (under warranty; it's a soldered-in battery, but it's easy enough to replace on your own if you've got a soldering iron and a replacement part)

- re-solder the headphone connector once after repeatedly catching a very long, straight jack on my pocket. (Headphones with L-shaped jacks are so much better... stupid Apple convinving the world that straight jacks are trendy and cool)
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    I love my Cowon
    Also agreed. I've got a Cowon D2 (about a year and half old). No software required, and it supports flac and ogg. I've also dropped it a few times and it hasn't done any damage to it at all.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Well i've just had my second sansa mp3 player brick and looking to sell it and get something different when I get my replacement. I don't really want anything that needs propietary software to work properly like a ipod or zune. i don't want to risk apple releasing a software update for the touch that makes it useless on ubuntu. want to get an 8gb+ mp3 player with great battery life and good ui. I would prefer the music to not have to be tagged to show up properly so that i can just drag and drop music onto the device. what would you get?
    I have an iPod Nano v4. It suits your demands just fine. 8GB and long bat life.

It can be easily hacked and replace its OS into something that is just drag and drop, but you can sync it with Songbird instead of iTunes if you don't want to hack it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Honestly, I have about 25GB's of music and besides ipod's or zune's. I was unable to find a suitable replacement for my collection. Good luck OP.
    If it wasn't for my android phone, I'd probably be in your situation.
    That's what she said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast