Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into Linux careers?

Beans

Getting into Linux careers?

I have been using linux for the past couple of years and i really enjoy learning and using it. I want to make it into a career and I am just curious to see what everyone here thinks are the right steps to take. Looking at job postings i notice it is mainly certs that they look for.

Books I have bought and currently reading:

*How linux works
    *Novell Press Linux Kernel Development
    *Linux Bible 2010

What other books can you suggest? What classes? What certs should i study for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Getting into Linux careers?

A good self-study is answering questions in this forum. One learns a lot by doing so.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by illconcepts View Post
    I have been using linux for the past couple of years and i really enjoy learning and using it. I want to make it into a career

....SNIPPED
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Most new jobs will not come from large, established companies - they will come from entrepreneurs and small business. Rather than working on your resume, work on your dream and vision. - Sam Crowley

In other words, if you have a hobby you really enjoy, work on a way to monetize it and maybe you can be the next "Big Company".

Bringing new life into old systems owned by non-profits...Saving them $1000's or even more can be the difference between doing their next project or putting it off.

DansGuardian and IPCop - Set up network filtering for churches and other organization and give them the ability to filter their internet traffic (inbound and outboud)....

There is SO MUCH you can do.
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) is probably the best bet for linux certifications.
    Last edited by tjwoosta; July 12th, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are a lot of Fortune 500's requiring Linux experience for new IT personnel.

IBM, Google, and even Microsoft have opening for experienced Linux people. Yes, 91 available jobs at MS require Linux knowledge.

Heck, Microsoft is even hiring people to specifically stop Linux deployments:

https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDet...20409&jlang=EN
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Don't put too much stock in books. They can only teach you so much. The rest you learn from actually doing it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux is primarily a server OS. Why not go to school for networking?
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by NMFTM View Post
    Linux is primarily a server OS. Why not go to school for networking?
    Even at schools for networking/servers/etc... They teach you Cisco/Microsoft products and that’s pretty much it.

At least here, by me, that's how it is...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Even at schools for networking/servers/etc... They teach you Cisco/Microsoft products and that’s pretty much it.
    But of course they will! The whole point behind Cisco academy is to teach you how to do things with Cisco hardware so when you get an IT job and have to set up a datacenter, you will only be able to recommend that solution. I know some senior network admins who declare something impossible if it can't done with Cisco, even though it's half a dozen lines in Linux or *BSD. I'm not saying it's bad, in fact I recommend getting a CCNA if you can, but keep your mind open to other solutions, question your tutors whenever they say something can't be done, and search online for solutions. The Networking section of this forum is a great start and lartc.org, though old, is as valid as ever (but things are configured much more simply now).

There's a saying here that goes something like, "If one could learn by watching, the dog would be a butcher." Read, but also do. Like others said, answering questions on these forums is the best way. I know from personal experience that the most I've learned in my career was during my time in tech support, solving other people's problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by McRat View Post
    There are a lot of Fortune 500's requiring Linux experience for new IT personnel.

IBM, Google, and even Microsoft have opening for experienced Linux people. Yes, 91 available jobs at MS require Linux knowledge.

Heck, Microsoft is even hiring people to specifically stop Linux deployments:

https://careers.microsoft.com/JobDet...20409&jlang=EN
    I read the requirements, and that thing is funny!

Build ‘Compete Muscle’ Across Your Area. The CSI Lead owns ensuring that the region and subs are fully ready to compete against Linux and FOSS. This includes everything from training to being the subject matter expertise, where needed. à Ability to diagnose a market share problem, find root causes and pull together a team that will PLAN / DO / CHECK / ACT in the right direction.
    System76 Pangolin Performance 5 - Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
    System76 Darter Pro - Pop_OS 18.04 LTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast