Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to restore default folder icon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    How to restore default folder icon

    Because Remastersys has a size limit for its backups, I exclude the Pictures folder. Therefore, when I do a restore, there is no pictures folder; when I create one, it gets the generic folder icon, rather than the folder icon that is normally associated with the Pictures folder. I know that through properties I can replace the folder icon with anything, but I have not been able to find where the generic pictures folder icon is stored. If I choose a specific icon, and change the icon theme, the custom icon remains. Further, when I make a bookmark for the new Pictures folder, it gets the generic folder icon, no matter what icon is assigned to the Pictures folder.

    I have searched and searched without finding a solution to this tiny niggle. There must be a way to restore the generic Pictures folder icon, so that it changes with the icon theme.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    The ~/home/Pictures folder icon is found here:
    /usr/share/icons/Humanity/places/XX/folder-pictures.svg
    with XX being the size (24, 48, etc).

    That's still a specific icon so I'm not sure if it provides you with what you are looking for.
    Last edited by drs305; July 11th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

    Retired.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The ~/home/Pictures folder icon is found here:
    /usr/share/icons/Humanity/places/XX/folder-pictures.svg
    with XX being the size (24, 48, etc).

    That's still a specific icon so I'm not sure if it provides you with what you are looking for.
    No, it doesn't; that just uses the folder-pictures.svg icon from a specific icon theme, which is how I discovered this problem. I'm looking for a way to associate a "generic" folder-pictures.svg such that the icon automatically changes if the entire icon theme is changed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    399

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    Assuming you are using Gnome...


    1. Right click on the icon you want to restore and select "Properties"
    2. In the properties window, click on the image of the icon. An icon selection window will open.
    3. In the icon selection window, click the "Revert" button.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    Assuming you are using Gnome...


    1. Right click on the icon you want to restore and select "Properties"
    2. In the properties window, click on the image of the icon. An icon selection window will open.
    3. In the icon selection window, click the "Revert" button.
    No again. Because the Pictures folder was excluded from the backup, when I create a new Pictures folder, it gets the generic folder icon, which is what it reverts to if it has been changed.

    You can see this happen if you take one of the places folders and copy it to the desktop: the desktop copy will have a generic folder icon.
    Last edited by libssd; July 11th, 2010 at 04:19 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilGil View Post
    Assuming you are using Gnome...


    1. Right click on the icon you want to restore and select "Properties"
    2. In the properties window, click on the image of the icon. An icon selection window will open.
    3. In the icon selection window, click the "Revert" button.
    No again. Because the Pictures folder was excluded from the backup, when I create a new Pictures folder, it gets the generic folder icon, which is what it reverts to if it has been changed. For example, let's assume I have assigned folder-pictures.svg from the Human theme. Revert will restore the generic folder icon.

    You can see this happen if you take one of the places folders and copy it to the desktop: the desktop copy will have a generic folder icon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    399

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    That's baffling to me. If I recall correctly, a default Gnome/Debian install does not include the default folders (Documents. Pictures, Music, etc..) like Ubuntu does, but if you create a folder called "Pictures" it inherits the special icon if one is available in the current icon theme.

    Have you tried to remove and reinstall the Humanity and Ubuntu-mono icon sets? Have you checked to see if there are icons in your /home/username/.icons folder that are overriding the default icons (in /usr/share/icons)?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    286

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    It is baffling -- which is why I posted the question here. /home/username/.icons is empty.

    Following a hunch, I have made some progress, although I can't explain exactly why. Since the desired icons are always in /usr/share/icons/Themename/places/XX/folder-pictures.svg, I tried using different pathnames even though I didn't expect them to work; e.g.:

    Code:
    /usr/share/icons/Default/places/scalable/folder-pictures.svg
    /usr/share/icons/places/scalable/folder-pictures.svg
    /usr/share/icons/folder-pictures.svg
    As expected, none of these produced a usable icon. However, when I provided a viable path:

    /usr/share/icons/Human/places/scalable/folder-pictures.svg

    Both the icon in the Nautilus main panel, and the shortcut icons in the side pane and in the Places menu all displayed consistently. They are still tied to a specific theme, of course, but this is a halfway solution, and probably not worth obsessing over.

    After getting this far, I ran bleachbit to delete all caches, with no change in the situation.

    I'm going to stop obsessing about this, but hope that others will not, as I'm curious to know the explanation for the original behavior.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    Because Remastersys has a size limit for its backups, I exclude the Pictures folder. Therefore, when I do a restore, there is no pictures folder; when I create one, it gets the generic folder icon, rather than the folder icon that is normally associated with the Pictures folder. I know that through properties I can replace the folder icon with anything, but I have not been able to find where the generic pictures folder icon is stored. If I choose a specific icon, and change the icon theme, the custom icon remains. Further, when I make a bookmark for the new Pictures folder, it gets the generic folder icon, no matter what icon is assigned to the Pictures folder.

    I have searched and searched without finding a solution to this tiny niggle. There must be a way to restore the generic Pictures folder icon, so that it changes with the icon theme.
    I was also looking for this. Turned out to be pretty simple. (if you know where to look, of course.. and that's the hard part)

    1. Delete the file "$HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs"
    2. Run "xdg-user-dirs-update"

    For reference, here's a "proper" user-dirs.dirs file:

    Code:
    # This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
    # If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
    # interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
    # Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
    # homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
    # absolute path. No other format is supported.
    # 
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
    XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
    XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
    XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
    XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
    XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
    XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wrocław, Poland
    Beans
    34
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: How to restore default folder icon

    there is a MUCH easier way (at least for ppl, who cannot find a way to delete the files u mentioned)- it's a soft called Ubuntu Tweak, it offers to restore the thing, and not only- it's a great "command center" for all kind of functions of Ubuntu

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •