Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux share at record high.

Beans

Linux share at record high.

The stats from W3S just arrived, and show an impressive 4.8% Linux market share.

I know I know, we can't trust that this is accurate, but none the less, this means that within a relatively large segment (web development), Linux has managed to grow.

I'm impressed that Linux is holding on to the gains of previous years, especially considering the generally positive response to Windows 7, and a stronger than ever alternative from Apple.

Linux market share is growing in a growing market. Total number of Internet users is now 1.8 billion. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Even if we estimate Linux as low as 1% that's 18 million users, and that's not counting servers, clusters, render pools etc.

This is great news IMO.
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Linux share at record high.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    Linux market share is growing in a growing market. Total number of Internet users is now 1.8 billion. http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Even if we estimate Linux as low as 1% that's 18 million users, and that's not counting servers, clusters, render pools etc.
    Plus, Linux is deployed in a lot of places with no internet, from what I hear. This is definitely good news. Glad to see that the word is being spread.
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cj.surrusco View Post
    Plus, Linux is deployed in a lot of places with no internet, from what I hear. This is definitely good news. Glad to see that the word is being spread.
    Yes, I work for the local Park & Ride and all of our digital information signs use Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux has come a long, long way since I started using it back in 2000. More users are realizing they don't have to be a slave to the proprietary give me your cash model just to hop on the internet and type a document or two.

Beans

This is probably more accurate than the 1% figure for world Linux usage. 1% seems a little low.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

These results are actual users, or does it include servers?
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans

Actual users. If you want server usage, someone like Netcraft would be better for those results.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I always thought it hovered at or around 1%! I'm fairly skeptical, doubt it's higher than 2 or 3% though, seeing as out of the people I know, I only know 2 who have ever heard of linux.
    I had to do it.

Beans

How popular is Linux in China? That's what I'm thinking, when I say it's probably above 1%. Red Flag Linux is a Chinese Linux distro that looks like Windows XP, I read that it was being promoted by the Chinese government.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stancel View Post
    This is probably more accurate than the 1% figure for world Linux usage. 1% seems a little low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    I always thought it hovered at or around 1%! I'm fairly skeptical, doubt it's higher than 2 or 3% though, seeing as out of the people I know, I only know 2 who have ever heard of linux.
    The most pessimistic surveys are about 1% global, so I consider 1% the lower boundary, and 4.8% the upper.
    8 months ago I did quite a lot of research on Linux desktop penetration, and came to the conclusion that very close to 2% was the real number.
    If that number has increased to 2.2% we are at 40 million users now.

By desktop I mean Desktops/Laptops/Netbooks not servers or other kinds of special uses. I wouldn't have a clue on how to estimate that.
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast