Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux share at record high.

Beans

Re: Linux share at record high.

Quote Originally Posted by Stancel View Post
    How popular is Linux in China? That's what I'm thinking, when I say it's probably above 1%. Red Flag Linux is a Chinese Linux distro that looks like Windows XP, I read that it was being promoted by the Chinese government.
    http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-CN-monthly-200906-201007
    http://www.buffalox.dk
    Warning may contain MS bashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Awesome, glad to see Linux is coming along, however slowly but surely.

aust77
    Desktop: Intel Pentium IV 2.00 GHz 748 MB RAM Ubuntu 11.04 i386
    Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz 985.8 MB RAM Ubuntu 11.04 i386
    "Box": Intel Pentium III 122 MB RAM Lucid Puppy Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This stat come from W3Schools log files. I don't think a site about web development is a unbiased sample.

Beans

The absolute value means very little. However, the long term trend of what the counters show can be interesting. For all the OS marketshare counters I know of, I think its undeniable that Linux has been increasing. Slow but steady pace.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    The most pessimistic surveys are about 1% global, so I consider 1% the lower boundary, and 4.8% the upper.
    Except that the 1% number comes from a reasonably well-balanced study and the 4.8% comes from a site that is geared specifically to developers. Our internal server is accessed by Linux machines 100% of the time; does that mean that everybody uses Linux?

I guarantee you that desktop Linux is well south of 2%.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Maybe 2010 is the "Linux Year on the Desktop."
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Stancel View Post
    How popular is Linux in China? That's what I'm thinking, when I say it's probably above 1%. Red Flag Linux is a Chinese Linux distro that looks like Windows XP, I read that it was being promoted by the Chinese government.
    I remember hearing at one point over 30% of laptops (or netbooks I forget which) purchased had some form of Linux. Can't remember the source though...

At any rate the US in general seems to be dragging its feet with linux but meh.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Statistics are fun!

Here is 2 years of Linux marketshare data. This site estimates it more near the traditional 1%, but notice that there are big boosts in May and less prominent, but still present, boosts in November.
    http://www.netmarketshare.com/report...sp=114&qpnp=25

I'm not saying that it has anything to do with the fact that Ubuntu puts out releases in late April and October, but that just might have something to do with it...
    My Laptop: Gateway T-6330u, 2.0 GHz Pentium Dual-Core, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD - Ubuntu 14.04
    My Desktop: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450, 3.2 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 TB HDD - Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 in VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How many people using something that is free is something very hard to gauge.

But ...

2 years ago, I still didn't know anyone personally who used a Mac. 5 years ago, I wasn't aware they were still making them. I would have guessed less than 1%, or about the same as Linux. Apple does record sales numbers, and they are much higher than 1%.
    Patrick McSwain - New 32bit & 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 user as of 5/1/2010.
    Networking new Linux computers into my existing Wintel-based small technical business.
    I was a DOS programmer in a previous life. No UNIX/Linux experience at all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    The most pessimistic surveys are about 1% global, so I consider 1% the lower boundary, and 4.8% the upper.
    8 months ago I did quite a lot of research on Linux desktop penetration, and came to the conclusion that very close to 2% was the real number.
    If that number has increased to 2.2% we are at 40 million users now.

By desktop I mean Desktops/Laptops/Netbooks not servers or other kinds of special uses. I wouldn't have a clue on how to estimate that.
    thats easy. Just get the savvis datacenter to scan all the connections that are being routed through it (it is a major datacenter, so a LOT of stuff pass through it on the way to the user's computer), and detect the OS of the server that is sending the data.

Or just get Level3/GlobalCrossing/Internap/Cogent to do it
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast