View Poll Results: Do You Like This Distro?

Voters
454. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

193 42.51%
  • No.

32 7.05%
  • Haven't Tried It.

176 38.77%
  • Not For Me.

53 11.67%
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinguy OS

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Pinguy OS 10.04 x64, Please Try.

Quote Originally Posted by ngaio View Post
    Great job, and thanks for including Rapid Photo Downloader! I just put out a new version, with previews and other cool stuff:

The repo is on the distro so when people update there system the new version will be installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Just wanted to personally thankyou for your take on Ubuntu. This is simply awesome. The one issue I did happen to get though was your playonlinux ppa was outdated. Other then that its great.

BTW I'll be sharing this with a few of my more newbish linux buddies. Hopefully this will make them more confident in their linux kung fu.

Do you have a website up? I know you have a torrent. If you decide to go ahead with a website, I'd gladly donate to your project. Might I also recommend using squarespace.com for your hosting. They are dead simple and great QoS. You can't beat $8 a month for the service you get.
    Last edited by PhilMize; July 12th, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    Just wanted to personally thankyou for your take on Ubuntu. This is simply awesome. The one issue I did happen to get though was your playonlinux ppa was outdated. Other then that its great.

BTW I'll be sharing this with a few of my more newbish linux buddies. Hopefully this will make them more confident in their linux kung fu.

Do you have a website up? I know you have a torrent. If you decide to go ahead with a website, I'd gladly donate to your project. Might I also recommend using squarespace.com for your hosting. They are dead simple and great QoS. You can't beat $8 a month for the service you get.
    No there isn't any website up for the OS (not yet anyway). There's still a few things I want to do with the OS first like de-brand it, have a custom plymouth boot screen and to be able to use Burg (haven't found away yet to use burg and boot the Live DVD) plus I am thinking about doing a 32-bit version as a few people have been asking me to do one.

Also I just want to see how popular/demand for the OS there is before putting all my time and effort into building a website.
    Last edited by pinguy; July 12th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    This is the copy I install on friend's and family Laptops/PC's. I have got such good feed back for this OS that everyone that is using it has been asking me why I haven't put it on the web. So here it is.

There isn't any 32bit version because I have a 64bit PC with 4GB of ram and I am never going to run a 32bit OS on this PC.

All this Distro is, is a custom built Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64 that can run as a Live DVD or be installed, it has all the added packages needed for video, music and web content .eg flash and java, plus I have done a few fixes as well. like fixing wireless problems, gwibber's facebook problem and flash videos in fullscreen.

Everything is setup for samba, all you need to do is right click a folder you want to share and add a password in samba using system-config-samba.

I have added a Upnp server as well so you can share your music, video's .ect with a PS3, XBOX 360 or any other Upnp media reader.

Nautilus has been changed for Elementary-Nautilus with added plugins so it can get music and video art from the web.

The default theme is Elementary using ttf-droid font with Docky and a custom Conky.

Here's Some Screenshots:

I have added DVB support to Totem for anyone with a TV card that wants to watch tv on there PC but don't want to install a whole program like myth-tv.

Here's a list of installed program's:

Accessories:

Graphics:

Internet:

Office:

Sound & Video:

System Tools:

Other:

Download Link: Pinguy_OS_10.04_x64.iso
    Download Link Mirror: Pinguy_OS_10.04_x64.iso
    Torrent Link: Pinguy OS 10.04_x64.torrent
    Size: 1.4GB
    No thanks, I prefer ubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a magnificent take on Ubuntu, usability & productivity. I've been using this OS for about 10 hours now and it's wonderful. The default apps satisfies like more than half of my requirements but I think it will do well for new Linux users. If your going to continue modding it and releasing new versions, you should consider including a app to mount iso or img files(e.g Right click->mount file). Great work though.
    Last edited by oracle2b; July 12th, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
    All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Linux is not Windows

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oracle2b View Post
    This is a magnificent take on Ubuntu, usability & productivity. I've been using this OS for about 10 hours now and it's wonderful. The default apps are satisfies like more than half of my requirements but I think it will do well for new Linux users. If your going to continue modding it and releasing new versions, you should consider including a app to mount iso or img files(e.g Right click->mount file). Great work though.
    Already built in. Right click on a .iso and select "Archive Mounter"
    Last edited by pinguy; July 12th, 2010 at 11:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Too many applications I wouldn't use , but it looks good if you prefer the applications.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Already built in. Right click on a .iso and select "Archive Mounter"
    It didn't work for me when I right clicked a .img file.

EDIT: I had to click "open with" then select "Archive Mounter" to get it work.
    All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.

Linux is not Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

64 bit is faster than 32 only if there is plenty of ram . In my system with only 1GB ram, 64 is slower .

Beans

Looks like a wonderful piece of work. I am very much looking forward to trying it out in a VM!

OSX has a good user interface design so why not use the best aspects of it. They screwed us with Darwin so why not take something useful from them.
    +1. Great argument - absolutely to the point.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast