Thread: UUID Label very annoying...

Beans

Red face UUID Label very annoying...

Hi,

since the last version of ubuntu, when inserting any USB disk into any computer, I had something like this:

Code:
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk-1 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
    Now, with Ubuntu 10.04, I have

Code:
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/f2c2a735-8451-4e1f-b6c6-bd509892722e type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/7ca71811-144b-4812-84df-dbd60d5202e6 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

that is very, very annoying, because I'm a computer user, I just want to plug my disk and find it as I expect to be called: DISK. I don't care about any UUID, this is totally unuseful to me nor to any normal user.

This way of associate the mountpoint to the UUID also causes a lot of confusion on newcomer users that expect their devices to be named with human readable names instead of hexadecimal UUID's: something like KINGSTON, USBPEN, DRIVE, DISK...

How to get rid FOREVER of those unuseful and unpratical UUID's used as mount points?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: UUID Label very annoying...

You have to set labels for the partitions in question. I installed gparted and relabeled a windows partition as windows and a backup as backup. Then I rebooted and no more UUID

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ks/+bug/390304

I can confirm this and reproduce it on many machines running Karmic. If a partition is unlabeled, mounting it will mount it to /media/$UUID instead of /media/disk-#

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UUID Label very annoying...

Labeled devices that automount will be mounted in the /media directory using their label as the mount point, /media/<label>.

To change the label go to System -> Administration -> Disk Utility