Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing 10.04 LTS on Dell Latitude E6410

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Installing 10.04 LTS on Dell Latitude E6410

I'm trying to install 10.04 LTS on my Latitude E6410. I've tried installing it inside of Windows and it installs - yet when I select it on boot - I get a black screen after the "Press ESC...".

Is it not compatible with the E6410? Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Installing 10.04 LTS on Dell Latitude E6410

Don't know ... that's what LiveCD mode is for ... to find out IF Ubuntu is compatible with your PC -- BEFORE you install it.
    Ubuntu 17.10 Mate, Mint 18.3 Mate; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have it perfecly running on this model. If your graphics card is NVIDIA, read the notes here to start the graphics session:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Lapt...lLatitudeE6410

Beans

Hi, I was able to install it (if you have one with the nvidia card)using the alternate install cd.
    Just install it normally

Once it boots, connect an external monitor from the vga port and the content will be displayed there. then follow and installed the proprietary nvidia drivers and voila you are ready.

Now I am trying to get the card reader,the webcam and the microphone to work

Beans

Hi. I also manage to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my Latitude E6410, by using this tutorial: http://blog.katharsys.com/?p=931
    After installation you need to reboot, so the black screen reappears. To have access to the login on the screen, you should connect an external monitor from the VGA port and then reboot the system. In this way you will be able to access the login. Login then install the proper NVidia driver (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers)
    Good Luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the Intel-Based model.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had a similar problem with my machine. Took me a week to figure out how to install ubuntu because the liveCD/USB wouldn't boot.

The solution for me was to edit the GRUB boot entry (it should say something on startup about pressing e to edit an entry).

Options to try:
    • Add "xforcevesa" to the kernel line
    • Add "acpi=off" to the kernel line
    • Add "noapic" to the kernel line
    • Add "i915.modeset=0" or "i915.modeset=1" to the kernel line
    • Add "nomodeset" to the kernel line
    • Remove "splash" and "quiet" from the kernel line

The problem with this issue is that is has a wide range of root causes. From the sounds of your hardware (an intel graphics card) i would try adding "i915.modeset=0" or "i915.modeset=1" to your kernel boot line first. If that doesn't work try each of the options i listed above, or some combination of them.

Personally for me the solution was "xforcevesa" with a radeon graphics card, but i only had to do this for the install (first boot worked fine).

Also note you should be able to access GRUB by pressing F6 on boot, if it isn't shown by default.
    Last edited by GenBattle; August 26th, 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Install kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...35.4-maverick/

Black screen is gone
    I have dual screen working like a charm.

Beans

dentharg's suggestion worked for me. I tried every permutation of sending the strings, "i915.modeset=0, i915.modeset=1, nomodeset, xforcevesa, acpi=off and noapic" against the standard Lucid kernel (2.6.32.24-generic) to no avail. They all resulted in a black screen.
    The only problem (it is a major problem) with the 2.6.35-4-maverick kernel is that as a "mainline" kernel, the ability to use the computer's broadcom wireless card is compromised. The broadcom card does not work.
    At least video works; I will end up using cable connection for the time being until a kernel that supports broadcom wireless is developed.
    Thanks for good work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast