Thread: MP3 player not recognized

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

MP3 player not recognized

I have an MP3 player ( A Sansa Clipp) that was working fine under Ubuntu 9.04. I could plug it into a USB port, and the computer would recognize it, a window would pop up with the files, etc etc.

I have just upgraded to 10.04. Now when I plug in the MP3 player, nothing happens, it doesn't open a window, and doesn't show up in the file system under /media, which is where I think it should be but I don't know a darn thing about that for sure.

When I plug it in, the MP3 player wakes up, claims it is connected, and begins charging it's battery, so that end seems to be working.

How can I convince my brainbox to talk to it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: MP3 player not recognized

Tried rebooting the computer. This time, it sees the MP3 player, but will not mount it or open the file. If I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in, the computer doesn't see it at all. How do i mount a device that refuses to be mounted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lile001 View Post
    Tried rebooting the computer. This time, it sees the MP3 player, but will not mount it or open the file. If I unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in, the computer doesn't see it at all. How do i mount a device that refuses to be mounted?
    The adjacent windows box talks to this MP3 player just fine, so it isn't the player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same mp3 player and the same problem. Did you find a solution? Where's the vaunted community support on this one?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have the same issue with a Phillips GoGear

code: dmesg |tail
    [ 41.070186] usb 1-3: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd gvfs-gphoto2-vo rqt 192 rq 1 len 1000 ret -110
    [ 44.250182] usb 1-3: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd gvfsd-gphoto2 rqt 192 rq 1 len 1000 ret -110
    [ 63.080051] usb 1-3: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
    [ 76.250061] usb 1-3: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd gvfsd-gphoto2 rqt 192 rq 1 len 1000 ret -110

code: lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0471:207b Philips
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

code: mount |column -t
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    none on /var/lib/ureadahead/debugfs type debugfs (rw,relatime)
    /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sda4 on /home type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sdb2 on /Music type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sdb3 on /data type ext4 (rw)
    /dev/sdb1 on /backtrack type ext3 (rw)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/jake/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jake)

I am on a clean 10.04 that I installed this morning with all the updates applied. The player appears in Rhythmbox but not as a mounted file system. It also does not appear in gparted. Also the player is in MTP mode. I have tried running mtp-detect but the problem persists.
    Last edited by zapcojake; August 22nd, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
    "Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box."

Beans
    Distro

There is a bug filed against gvfs for this problem. I installed kubuntu-desktop from the repos and am using it to drag and drop files to my player. I don't know how wide-spread the problem is, you could try the Fedora forums to see id they are experiencing this bug.
    Last edited by zapcojake; August 22nd, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zapcojake View Post
    There is a bug filed against gvfs for this problem. I installed kubuntu-desktop from the repos and am using it to drag and drop files to my player. I don't know how wide-spread the problem is, you could try the Fedora forums to see id they are experiencing this bug.

So far no joy - has anyone found a workaround? So far I am moving podcasts to an old windows box to talk to my MP3 player, mucho inconvienient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lile001 View Post
    So far no joy - has anyone found a workaround? So far I am moving podcasts to an old windows box to talk to my MP3 player, mucho inconvienient.
    Wow! It sounds liek this is a widespread and pernicious many-hairy-legged bug! No responses that helped, several users reporting MP3 players not recognized! Is there anyone with technical competence paying attention to this problem? Me, I'm not too savvy on what to do about such problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Looks like Windows wins this one. Sorry Ubuntu, you fail. I'd sure like to see someone tackle this problem with an answer, or even a question.....

Beans
    Distro

Fedora 13 exhibits the same issue for me. I'd say it's a Gnome problem as Kubuntu 10.04.1 recognizes my player just fine.