Thread: 10.04 hard drive encryption and migrating a non-encrypted home directory to it

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

10.04 hard drive encryption and migrating a non-encrypted home directory to it

I bought a new hard drive. I installed 10.04 and enabled home directory encryption when it asked. I rebooted. Then I wanted to migrate my home directory off my old hard drive. What I was going to do, is plug my old hard drive in via USB. Then I was going to go

Code:
    cd /home
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /home/myself
    then

Code:
    cp -ravv /media/myoldharddrive/home/myself ./
    The way I figured it, my whole home directory should be copied over, including all my settings and stuff.

However I can't rm -rf my home directory. It says .gvfs is busy. I know this is because of hard drive encryption, but I would like to know how I should migrate my home directory now. Can I instead simply do

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /home/myself/*
    and then

Code:
    cp -ravv /media/myoldharddrive/home/myself/* ~/
    I'm confused as to why .gvfs is in ~/myself and not just ~/, encrypting all users at the same time. I suppose different users are encrypted differently, but I only have one large passphrase that Ubuntu gave me, so I'm confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 10.04 hard drive encryption and migrating a non-encrypted home directory to it

Do you have a third external hard drive?

You can use clonezilla to image your old drive and copy the image to your new drive.

Sorry about the formatting. I'm typing from a mobile device.
    Last edited by an0dos; July 10th, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Reread the OP