Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL8191SU 10.04 driver not working

Beans

Re: Realtek RTL8191SU 10.04 driver not working

Alright, this is getting ridiculous. I left the pc on all night, in the morning it was disconnected and won't connect again, I tried rebooting, disabling the driver from system>administation>drivers and rebooting, enabling it and rebooting, the thing just won't connect. And yesterday it had a great signal as well (I'm two floors down from the router, the wireless I'm using now gets 12-16% and with the realtek I had 78%!)

Beans

wtf, I just tried again and it just connected, 71%, seriously, WTF.

Beans

here still online via Realtek/Belkin RTL8192SU and kernel driver.

The Realtek driver indicate a very strange signal strength ,
    still at 10% for minutes and going to 90% for some seconds; the netspeed applet is able to detect the connection but the speed is always at 0. You can connect and disconnect, the Realtek driver NOT REQUIRE the firmware file
    ( on a 64bit os this driver does not work at the 99% of the cases. Once loaded the driver, the screen become black and keyboard leds blink )

you are right
    The kernel driver seems to show stable and realistic values, but once disconnected it's much difficult to connect again
    Last edited by Allxsan; September 25th, 2010 at 08:43 AM.

Beans

I downloaded and installed the drivers as described, but when I do an 'insmod 8712u.ko' my screen goes blank and the keyboard lights blink. I'm on an amd64 machine and I've noticed that other people see crashes too. Does anyone know a solution for building this driver on 64bit machines?

Beans

My amd64 machine dies with a dark screen and blinking keyboard lights if I insmod the realtek drivers. I downloaded the firmware file as per the /lib/firmware/RT8192SU instructions in previous posts but my USB dongle is not recognized at all. Its the exact same Fry's dongle that everyone else is using, but I can't get my machine to recognize it at all, except for the 'lsusb' listing. Does anyone know how to get the realtek drivers to work on amd64 processors?

Beans

I have just bought a RTL8191SU and am using it on 10.04 (lucid) on a 64-bit machine. The driver in the kernel (which is staging) seems to mostly work with that 67KB firmware BIN file from debian. However, it seems to briefly drop out for ~ a second, every now and then. It's not a huge problem browsing etc but is most evident on Skype etc. The 'dmesg' shows several lines like:
    "rtl819xU:Error TX URB for zero byte -62, error -2"

Does anyone else see this? Anyone know of any existing bug reports to this effect? (I googled but nothing looks right)

I also compiled and installed the Realtek own drivers (8712u.ko) which just hangs the system entirely. It also stops my machine booting unless I remove it from the modules path. Maybe they wrote them in a way that cannot work in 64-bit.

Has anyone managed to get Realtek's own drivers to work on a 64-bit system?

It seems the staging drivers are in a better state than Realtek's, so I will file a bug for the dropping out and maybe, along with when the firmware is fixed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...re/+bug/594248), this can work out of the box in a couple of kernels time.

Beans

Ok, maybe not....

It seems that in the very latest kernels (2.6.36-rc3 ish), they've dropped the r8192s_usb driver in favour of a cleaned up version of Realtek's own (r8712u).

After hacking the kernel source around, I've managed to get this new driver to compile against the headers for my current Ubuntu kernel (2.6.32-25-generic) because the one it is actually in, is newer than is available in Ubuntu's development kernel git tree.

This means a few things:
    a) It will eventually just work out of the box.
    b) This might be quite a while, I don't know if 11.04 will use 2.6.36.
    c) I have a compiled and running version and it works so far without any problems .

The temporary hack....

I've put the binary, built for my amd64 system against 2.6.32-25-generic here:
    http://www.oliford.co.uk/files/r8712u.ko

The only way I could get it to compile, was by pretending it was rtl8192su, so that all the configs Makefiles, and things I don't understand work.

To compile against your own, do this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    wget http://www.oliford.co.uk/files/rtl8712-pretending-to-be-rtl8192su.tar.gz
    tar xvzfp rtl8712-pretending-to-be-rtl8192su.tar.gz
    cd rtl8712-pretending-to-be-rtl8192su/
    make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules
    sudo make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` M=`pwd` modules_install
    sudo depmod
    sudo modprobe -rv r8712s_usb
    sudo modprobe -v r8712u
    That should produce r8712u.ko and place it in the appropriate place. You will probably need to add 'blacklist r8192s_usb' to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf as well, to stop it loading the old one.

Beans

When associated, my link quality is at 100%. If anyone else gets this to work, can you tell me if yours is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just installed newest kernel. Did nothing yet, my internet driver (wireless) doesn't work, now trying oliford's method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

After reading the posts in this thread (which helped a lot), I just wanted to post my experience, in case it helps anyone else.

Here's my current setup:
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Desktop x86 (kernel 2.6.32-26-generic)
    Patriot Wireless N USB Adapter (PCB0WAU2-N)

This wireless adapter also uses the RTL8191SU chipset. I found that the Linux driver that came with the CD and on the Patriot website had errors and would not compile properly (rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0005.2009 1229 when extracted). So I downloaded the latest drivers from Realtek (rtl8712_8188_8191_8192SU_usb_linux_v2.6.0006.2010 0625) which compiled properly without errors. Here are the steps I took to compiling and installing it:

1. Installing the driver:
    (while in the downloaded driver directory)
    Code:
    $ sudo su
    $ make
    $ make install
    2. Remove r8192s_usb module:
    Code:
    $ rmmod r8192s_usb
    3. Blacklist the r8192s_usb module in blacklist.conf
    Code:
    $ cd /etc/modprobe.d
    $ gedit blacklist.conf
    In gedit, add the following lines at the end of file and close and save:
    # Add your comment here
    blacklist r8192s_usb

4. Exit superuser
    Code:
    $ exit
    5. Plug in wireless adapter and setup the wireless connection.

Note: I didn't try using the kernel-included r8192s_driver with the firmware download, but it would have been my next step had my first steps failed. I only have a 802.11g network and I haven't had any connection problems. I haven't been able to test on an 802.11n network yet, so I don't know how well the driver works there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast