Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real name on the forums?

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Real name on the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by endotherm View Post
    I notice today, that Blizzard will be restricting their forums to folks registering with their real first and last names.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...rums?art_pos=2

I personally would not post to these forums were they to apply the same rule. how do you all feel about it?
    Could be a problem for Joe Smith... and the 17000 other Joe Smith's.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lostinxlation View Post
    Trust me. if everyone uses the real identity on the internet board, the amount of flaming war will be cut in half.
    Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.
    Ah... depended on what Newsgroup you were following. There were plenty of them back then... plenty.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's fine. I registered with my real name anyway.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lostinxlation View Post
    Trust me. if everyone uses the real identity on the internet board, the amount of flaming war will be cut in half.
    Back in the early days of internet, a lot of people used real name and organization in a form of signature, email address or IP address when they posted on Newsgroup. Apparently, flame war wasn't very common back then.
    Yes, but that was also back when every 5 year old and Sally Sue wasn't crawling about the Internet.

Honestly though, this is a horrible idea. It is especially horrible considering they are putting this into effect in a community which, I'm assuming, is composed heavily of minors. The possibilities for abuse are huge.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT:
    Aren't there laws against this kind of things where minors are concerned? I mean, I'm fairly sure it is illegal, in my state, for teachers to talk about their students by name outside of class.
    Last edited by arsenic23; July 6th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's rare that I use my real name on the internet these days. My family name is sufficiently uncommon where I live that people could easily figure out who I am if I get careless. Even the photos I have had attached to my profile here were probably more than enough for locals to figure out my identity.

I did have a picture posted of Mrs Lisati on my forum album where she was with standing with former NZ prime minister Helen Clarke, but removed it for privacy concerns.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    It's rare that I use my real name on the internet these days. My family name is sufficiently uncommon where I live that people could easily figure out who I am if I get careless....
    Same reason here. My first and last name are so rare that someone could find me in a phone book just by guessing what country I live in (clue: I use words like miles, Fahrenheit, feet, etc.).

How rare is the last name? Well, I was researching my family genealogy, and found a name of a child in a letter written to my grandparents at the end of WWII. I entered the child's name into an on-line phone directory for Germany and got only two hits. Yes, one of the people was the relative I was seeking.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; July 7th, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Meh, I used my real (first) name, since I didn't feel like using my online handle on a non-gaming forum. >.>

My opinion on it: Big Effing deal. You already need to register under your real(tm) name when creating a WoW account and I am sure it will be the same for a SC2 acct.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    My opinion on it: Big Effing deal. You already need to register under your real(tm) name when creating a WoW account and I am sure it will be the same for a SC2 acct.
    Unless the site is something I do business with; such as, insurance company, bank, stock broker, etc., I have a fake name I use rather than my real name.

I've never used WoW so I don't know if they bill your credit card, if not, they would get my fake name.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12