Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing the Tor program and getting the setting right

Beans

Installing the Tor program and getting the setting right

Day two of experience with Ubunto OS. I am very enthused about NEVER giving Bill Gates another thin dime for his crappy OS.

I have downloaded Tor while using Ubunto as the OS and There appear to be many settings that I do not understand.

I need a step by step guide on the settings to get this program to work

I noticed there is a Anon program in the download site for Ubunto and I down loaded that too and installed but I don't see that it is working. My IP has not changed.

Please let me know what information you need. I can reinstall and go through this step by step if someone is willing to assist.

Thanks, Explore(r)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing the Tor program and getting the setting right

explore,

Perhaps this will be of some help: http://maketecheasier.com/install-tor-in-ubuntu/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The best tutorial I have found is on the Tor sight. It explains everything you need to do to install with a repository, install tor button and use popoli It will be to your benefit if you follow that tutorial.

Beans

Thank you folks for your responses.

I will go and look at these sites. I will make another attempt to get this issue resolved.

Beans

I went to the Tor site and here is the first instruction : You'll need to set up our package repository before you can fetch Tor. First, you need to figure out the name of your distribution. If you're using Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04, it's "karmic", while 9.04 is "jaunty", 8.10 is "intrepid", and 8.04 is "hardy". If you're using Debian Etch, it's "etch", and Debian Lenny is "lenny". Then add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

Question: Although when I do a search for this file I can find it, I don't know how to add the line to the file:
    deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org <DISTRIBUTION> main

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If you're using Gnome, click the menus System, Administration, Software Sources, Other Software, Add. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For what its worth, I have only had success using Privoxy in combination with Tor- none of the others worked for me. Im sure they do, but if you have issues, its something to keep in mind.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans

Your Broadband Router May Not Be Plug 'n Playable!
    Message: TorK can't contact your router to optimize it's configuration for Tor.
    This means: Check that UPnP is enabled on the router and that your computer firewall allows traffic to and from the router. You can still be a server, but the ports Tor uses will be the defaults rather than 443 and 80.

Question: How do I address this issue? Please remember I have very little experience with these computers.
    Last edited by explore; July 8th, 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: adding information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

You'll need to login to your router to change its settings (assuming it's yours to change). Try opening http://192.168.0.1 in Firefox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    You'll need to login to your router to change its settings (assuming it's yours to change). Try opening http://192.168.0.1 in Firefox.
    Would that be the Comcast business gateway?

The writing on this page is "This Gateway helps you set up and secure your Local Area Network, support your applications and servers, and manage your users' access to the Internet. Feature Settings provide you with many options to help protect and manage your network. You can block certain Web sites, configure your security features or block outside computers from the network. You can also get detailed information on your gateway and change a variety of other settings-- it's all right here.
    Thank you for choosing Comcast Business.
    Feature Descriptions
    Feature Settings: This section is for all users to view or change the features available on the gateway. Please note: Changes made to these settings may affect Internet connectivity and LAN network settings."If So: Which one of these tabs do I need to click? features or block outside computers from the network. You can also get detailed information on your gateway and change a variety of other settings-- it's all right here. Thank you for choosing Comcast Business.
    Feature Descriptions

This section is for all users to view or change the features available on the gateway. Please note: Changes made to these settings may affect Internet connectivity and LAN network settings. If This is the correct page for this setting, which tab should I click?
    Site Navigation
    Main
    feature settings
    -Administration
    -Lan
    -Firewall
    -gateway summary
    Last edited by explore; July 9th, 2010 at 02:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast