Thread: .tar.gz extraction and installation

Beans

.tar.gz extraction and installation

Ok so... just downloaded unbuntu today so excuse my noobness. I am trying to install John the ripper and i download the file and extract it but cant run it i know you have to type some fancy code into the terminal which i tried tar xzvf john-1.7.6.tar.gz and got
    tar: john-1.7.6.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    i also tried similar prefixes the website said to use to try and extract it and get the same message every time. also if someone would be so kind as to help me determine what exactly to put into /whereprogramis/program sorta thing... thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: .tar.gz extraction and installation

Double click on the file and Archive Manager will open, click extract and it will extract to the folder it is currently in. Once extracted open it and look for a file called readme or install and follow the instructions.

EDIT: I didn't know the program was in the repos sorry. It is always best to stick to the repo versions when you are just learning.
    Last edited by k3lt01; July 6th, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The program to which you refer is available in the Ubuntu repositories. To install, click here or install using Ubuntu Software Center or Synaptic Package Manager. The package's name is "john".

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi and welcome to the forums and Ubuntu!

John the Ripper is in the repositories. You can install it via Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager (System -> Administration) or the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install john
    Or click this apt-url link: john.

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
    community/InstallingSoftware