Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to host my own webpages?

Beans

How to host my own webpages?

Hi, today I've been reading many threads but found no answer to my question,
    How to can I host my own domain by myself for free?

I've installed phpmyAdmin, ehcp, filezilla, mySql, mySql query browser, proftpd, gforge, wordpress, activeperl...

I'm not sure either how to make a domain name for my IP address and how to use dynamic DNS...

1) OK, I've got to admit that I'm a newbie in networking.
    2) I'm lost with tons of different programs, I don't know where to start from now, there are many methods. I have made many user names and passwords...
    3) What to do? I don't want a local web page, All I want is get my web page on Internet where anyone else can visit it.

Thanks for help.
    Last edited by Atran 0_0; July 5th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to host my own webpages?

Quote Originally Posted by Atran 0_0 View Post
    Hi, today I've been reading many threads but found no answer to my question,
    How to can I host my own domain by myself for free?

I've installed phpmyAdmin, ehcp, filezilla, mySql, mySql query browser, proftpd, gforge, wordpress, activeperl...

I'm not sure either how to make a domain name for my IP address and how to use dynamic DNS...

1) OK, I've got to admit that I'm a newbie in networking.
    2) I'm lost with tons of different programs, I don't know where to start from now, there are many methods. I have made many user names and passwords...
    3) What to do? I don't want a local web page, All I want is get my web page on Internet where anyone else can visit it.

Thanks for help.
    You still need to install Apache2 (sudo apt-get install apache2) and then put your pages in your /var/www direcrtory... You can host your own site, but you still have to register the domain name and get that pointed to your server........ If you are new to this, I'd suggest googling Apache2 setup....
    Doug Bradshaw
    Carson Rose & Associates, Inc.
    Registered Ubuntu User #31744
    Registered Linux User #516446

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carsonrose View Post
    You still need to install Apache2 (sudo apt-get install apache2)
    I forgot to mention, I already have Apache2.

and then put your pages in your /var/www direcrtory...
    OK, so my directory with ordinary html/php files would work.

You can host your own site, but you still have to register the domain name and get that pointed to your server........
    How?

If you are new to this, I'd suggest googling Apache2 setup....
    OK, I'll search...
    Last edited by Atran 0_0; July 5th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There are a few important networking considerations to make, OS independent.

To host anything from your very machine, your domain name needs to be translated to an IP address from a DNS client. This implies that your IP is fixed, or dynamically updated.

99% of ISPs give dynamic public IP addresses. This means that your public IP (external IP) gets changed without you being notified.

This has 2 solutions:

1 (expensive) rent an SDSL line from your ISP, or any other form of fixed IP connection

2 (cheap) get informed about services like dyndns. It routes the traffic to your server, getting updated frequently by a deamon, on your IP changes

Dyndns can be tricky to set-up, feel free to post back

PS: Look for complete howtos to install, referring to the LAMP stack. (Linux Apache2 Mysql Php)
    Last edited by bruno9779; July 5th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2,8 GHz - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P - 6 GB RAM Mushkin DDR3 1333 - ZOTAC GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3

Beans

I want to change my site, so first I copy the (/etc/apache2/sites-available/default) file and then I change the copy as shown below:

Code:
    <VirtualHost *>

DocumentRoot /home/ramsin/public_website/www/
        <Directory />
            Options FollowSymLinks
            AllowOverride None
        </Directory>

<Directory /home/ramsin/public_website/www/vhosts/>
            Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
            AllowOverride All
            Order Allow,Deny
            Allow from All
        </Directory>

<FilesMatch "access_log|error_log">
            Deny from All
        </FilesMatch>

ErrorLog /home/ramsin/public_website/log/apache2/error.log
        LogLevel debug
        CustomLog /home/ramsin/public_website/log/apache2/access.log combineddefault

</VirtualHost>
    After that, I place it in another directory, so the new file (default) is in (/etc/apache2/sites-available/mysite/).

In the terminal I write,
    Code:
    sudo a2dissite default && sudo a2ensite mysite
    to activate the new site and disable the old one. It works and I restart the apache2, but the same page as before stills coming up! The page is the default ehcp page, and you look that there is a button leading you to the server control panel, and below you read the following:
    If you are the owner of this website and were not expecting to see this page, please contact your hosting provider.
    All I want to know why the same page is showing up when entering http://localhost/ ?
    Thanks...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruno9779 View Post
    2 (cheap) get informed about services like dyndns. It routes the traffic to your server, getting updated frequently by a deamon, on your IP changes
    I google it, and I see many websites offering that service. I should sign up, and you can get it free or you have to pay little money. Which website(s) are you recommending? Is the free 'sign-up' enough if I want a website for non-commercial use? Or is it more convenient if I pay a little?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First things first..

Did you even register a domain with a provider?
    OR - Are you using a solution from a free web-hosting provider?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by =CrAzYG33K= View Post
    First things first..

Did you even register a domain with a provider?
    OR - Are you using a solution from a free web-hosting provider?
    No! So you're demanding that I first go to a website and register a domain name, is this free?

Beans

I've found this: http://www.freedomain.co.nr/
    You read that it's free, I'll check it. However, your domain name should end with (.co.nr).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Atran 0_0 View Post
    No! So you're demanding that I first go to a website and register a domain name, is this free?
    Uhm professional website registration is not free. Something like www.myname.com or www.myname.org is not free

Examples for registration:

1&1
    GoDaddy

Or you could opt for a free webhost.
    Usually you'd end up with something like www.myname.site-name.com (not professional-looking), but hey, it's free!

Nice place where you get free webhost providers reviewed :
    http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-php-webhosting.php

(Since you mentioned you'd be needing PHPMyAdmin, I opted to go with this link!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast