Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my CPU just too pathetic?

Beans

Exclamation Is my CPU just too pathetic?

I've noticed an occasional problem. I don't think the problem is with Ubuntu, because I had a similar problem with XP (which is why I trashed XP and installed Ubuntu). Anyway, usually when I'm in Firefox (but other applications as well), I'd be typing away and suddenly the screen would go gray and everything would freeze; it ignores my kb input and my mouse movements. This lasts anywhere from a few seconds to close to a minute. Then I can do stuff again, then it happens again. Regularly.

The computer is a HP Pavilion ZE4900 (ze4930us) laptop with a 1.3 GHz Celeron processor, 200 MB, and a 40 GB hard drive. Yes, it's a few years old. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) Kernel Linux 2.6.31-14 generic GNOME 2.28.1

Is this a function of my old computer, or is there some setting or config I can do to make Ubuntu more peppy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Is my CPU just too pathetic?

Hi,
    256 mb of memory is the minimum recommended for Ubuntu desk top editions. The CPU requirement is 1ghz so you may be light on memory.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Gallagher View Post
    I've noticed an occasional problem. I don't think the problem is with Ubuntu, because I had a similar problem with XP (which is why I trashed XP and installed Ubuntu). Anyway, usually when I'm in Firefox (but other applications as well), I'd be typing away and suddenly the screen would go gray and everything would freeze; it ignores my kb input and my mouse movements. This lasts anywhere from a few seconds to close to a minute. Then I can do stuff again, then it happens again. Regularly.

The computer is a HP Pavilion ZE4900 (ze4930us) laptop with a 1.3 GHz Celeron processor, 200 MB, and a 40 GB hard drive. Yes, it's a few years old. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) Kernel Linux 2.6.31-14 generic GNOME 2.28.1

Is this a function of my old computer, or is there some setting or config I can do to make Ubuntu more peppy?
    As Frogs Hair said, you are way under the minimum system requirements.
    You usually need around 1gig of ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,

Since you're having similar problems on both Windows XP and Ubuntu it could be hardware related. I would start to do a memory check to eliminate the possibility of a memory failure. Try to run a memtest on your computer, Link to MemTest86+
    You also say that the screen goes gray, which could indicate that the graphic memory or the LCD is the cause to your problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just get some more ram if the MB will allow you to add more. That will make the biggest possible difference on that old machine.

Or you could, of course, use another Linux such as Puppy. The newest version of that known as Lupu 5, is based on lucid packages, but otherwise nothing like lucid. Try it; I think you might like it, and it will certainly be blisteringly fast in comparison.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Just get some more ram if the MB will allow you to add more. That will make the biggest possible difference on that old machine.

Or you could, of course, use another Linux such as Puppy. The newest version of that known as Lupu 5, is based on lucid packages, but otherwise nothing like lucid. Try it; I think you might like it, and it will certainly be blisteringly fast in comparison.
    I would highly recommend NOT installing it.
    I am currently using it for a month, since I am not with my Ubuntu desktop, and it is not like Ubuntu at all.
    If anyone knows how to use it, I would be all ears.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    I would highly recommend NOT installing it.
    I am currently using it for a month, since I am not with my Ubuntu desktop, and it is not like Ubuntu at all.
    If anyone knows how to use it, I would be all ears.
    What exactly is your problem with lupu? I have not installed it, but have tried it and found it worked very well on my system, which I admit is much newer and faster than the OP's

I know this is not a Puppy forum, but I'm just interested to know what you found so difficult to use.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What exactly is your problem with lupu? I have not installed it, but have tried it and found it worked very well on my system, which I admit is much newer and faster than the OP's

I know this is not a Puppy forum, but I'm just interested to know what you found so difficult to use.
    I'm saying no because I'm using puppy 4.3.2, and I can barely use it.
    Many commands are missing, and well, simply, Ubuntu is way better.

Beans

Actually, my solution is that I'm going to convert my main desktop computer to Ubuntu next (dual core 4 GHz CPU, 4 GB ram, 160 GB hard drive). That old laptop was just a trial bed to see how well I like Linux. I confirmed that I can access my email accounts, get online to all my favorite web sites (such as YouTube), set up Yahoo Messenger, and that it has a text editor that I can live with (sorry, but I absolutely despise vi).

I just hadn't expected to be forced into it right now. You see, I bought my desktop PC about a month ago from Best Buy. Just a short while ago, it declared that its version of ******* wasn't Genuine(tm), and it's been nagging me every 5 minutes to contact M$ to buy a valid version. I called M$ who told me that my ******* product key is valid but my version of ******* 7 isn't a full version. My only solution is to take the computer back to Best Buy or buy a full version of *******. No thanks! I'm not going to schlep my computer back to Best Buy. I'll call Best Buy to see what they say tomorrow. But anything less than them coming to my house with a new computer and take this one away will mean it is getting Linufied...
    Last edited by Bernie Gallagher; July 5th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Gallagher View Post
    Actually, my solution is that I'm going to convert my main desktop computer to Ubuntu next (dual core 4 GHz CPU, 4 GB ram, 160 GB hard drive). That old laptop was just a trial bed to see how well I like Linux. I confirmed that I can access my email accounts, get online to all my favorite web sites (such as YouTube), set up Yahoo Messenger, and that it has a text editor that I can live with (sorry, but I absolutely despise vi).

I just hadn't expected to be forced into it right now. You see, I bought my desktop PC about a month ago from Best Buy. Just a short while ago, it declared that its version of ******* wasn't Genuine(tm), and it's been nagging me every 5 minutes to contact M$ to buy a valid version. I called M$ who told me that my ******* product key is valid but my version of ******* 7 isn't a full version. My only solution is to take the computer back to Best Buy or buy a full version of *******. No thanks! I'm not going to schlep my computer back to Best Buy. I'll call Best Buy to see what they say tomorrow. But anything less than them coming to my house with a new computer and take this one away will mean it is getting Linufied...
    If you do miss the windows interface to anything, there are many alternatives.
    Check the Linux Cheat sheet. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1524670

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast