Thread: Missing BOOTMGR?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Missing BOOTMGR?

I have a new Dell computer that has Windows 7. I bough a new 500GB drive for it, so now I have ~1TB.I have reinstalled and formatted the drives multiple time (trying to install Linux distros). I want to have Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Backtrack 4. Right now I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu on the 1st drive and Backtrack 4 partitioned on the 2nd drive. I was in Windows and I rebooted and I get a message saying "No Module Found. Aborted. Press Any Key" Then after that it says "BOOTMGR is Missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Reboot." I tried reinstalling GRUB2 usuing an Ubuntu live CD. I got GRUB reinstalled and now I could access any of the partitions. So I went into Windows and rebooted later and the same message came up again. What do you think keeps happening? Does something keep overwriting GRUB? If Windows was overwriting it, wouldn't it rewrite the Windows MBR?
    Dell Studio XPS i7-920

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Missing BOOTMGR?

well first you must use the windows cd to fixmbr first then go behind it and install the grub so it can pick up your linux and windows installations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by walkerchuckwalker View Post
    ...What do you think keeps happening? Does something keep overwriting GRUB? If Windows was overwriting it, wouldn't it rewrite the Windows MBR?
    Yeah, except, BOOTMGR is not the MBR, it is the boot loader for Vista/Win7. So, it looks like your boot loader is getting clobbered.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

what is inside the MBR i thought it be the bootloader? i dont use windows so much you know better than I. Ill stick with Arch Linux