Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLed new update. How do I remove old versions?

Beans

Question DLed new update. How do I remove old versions?

Hi All,

Been running ubuntu for about 2-3 months now. Just downloaded the latest kernel update. (2.3.23?)

My boot menu now has 3 Ubuntu versions to choose from (aside from Win7 as well).

How do I remove the 2 "older" versions from the menu ?

I'm a newbie to linux so a nice step by step would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DLed new update. How do I remove old versions?

Write down which one it is ,then open package manager and click on the "status" button ,then click on " installed (local or obsolete), then uncheck the old ones , be careful not to uncheck the ones your using or other stuff....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's not necessary to delete the other kernel infact it's best to keep a couple around just in case one breaks compatibility with your system I always keep at minimum 3 kernel versions.
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by -humanaut- View Post
    It's not necessary to delete the other kernel infact it's best to keep a couple around just in case one breaks compatibility with your system I always keep at minimum 3 kernel versions.
    Then OP will need to know how to edit the grub menu
    But I do agree with this. Searching the forums will find several posts and topics and whatnot about editing the grub menu (which is the menu you see when you boot up, the menu you're talking about)
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zintha View Post
    Then OP will need to know how to edit the grub menu
    But I do agree with this. Searching the forums will find several posts and topics and whatnot about editing the grub menu (which is the menu you see when you boot up, the menu you're talking about)
    Not really; I thought the kernel removal triggered a rebuild of the GRUB menu. If it doesn't, then just:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    should do the trick.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Sorry guys, I am indeed referring to the GRUB menu, The version i updated to is 2.6.23.

So what is the final verdict on this? remove old versions or keep?

I dont mind keeping at least 1 if needed.

thnx again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    Write down which one it is ,then open package manager and click on the "status" button ,then click on " installed (local or obsolete), then uncheck the old ones , be careful not to uncheck the ones your using or other stuff....
    Just checked via the steps mentioned above (thanks Mike!) and the only 2 things I have listed under Status>Installed (local or obsolete) are: LImewire (I know..crappy but sometimes I get better luck looking for media than using torrents), and Picasa.

Beans

This is what I have installed at the moment. Looking to get rid of the older ones:

eddie@eddie-laptop:~$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
    ii linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic 2.6.32-21.32 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic 2.6.32-22.36 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic 2.6.32-23.37 Linux kernel image for version 2.6.32 on x86
    ii linux-image-generic 2.6.32.23.24 Generic Linux kernel image

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could install "Ubuntu-tweak" from; http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ it will let you get rid of them easy , plus it does a lot of other stuff...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    you could install "ubuntu-tweak" from; http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ it will let you get rid of them easy , plus it does a lot of other stuff...
    + 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast