Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Safety Using Unsecured Wireless Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Safety Using Unsecured Wireless Network

For all intents and purposes, forget that such a thing as a keylogger even exists. They're usually in the form of a device that connects between the computer and the keyboard. So unless you hand your laptop to someone or leave your hotel room unlocked, you're pretty safe from those. You cannot log keystrokes over a network connection.
    http://www.nuxified.org/article/fork...ze_the_desktop
    Good enough is not enough. Being the best is not enough. - Danijel Orsolic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by QLee View Post
    Gmail (for one) offers secure signon for email, you probably don't want your email passwords going in clear text.

Even if your system is not compromised by a keylogger running on it (where copy and paste might help), a keylogger which you were worried about is still possible if you use a wireless keyboard and someone is close enough to you with the correct equipment but since you aren't a secret agent, it's probably not a concern.

Dialup is certainly slower and more expensive, and for very marginal extra security (merely no local packet sniffers - the 'Net is still a jungle).
    I don't use anything wireless except an internet connection if that's all a hotel offers (no wireless keyboards - I use a netbook computer).

Any enhanced security will allow me to sleep better at night in the "jungle."

Thanks for writing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lhb1142 View Post
    Thank you. I thought Firestarter was a good program to have; evidently it is not?
    I have a premade list of why not to use firestarter

The most often advised firewall interface is "Firestarter", but nowadays its a bad idea to use it. It hasn't been developed for ages now, and because ufw (A command line configuration tool) is installed, Firestarter will conflict with already running services.

On top of that, while it runs, it runs as root, so if someone were to exploit a vulnerability in Firestarter, it would give them complete access to your system.

The current interface suggestion is "gufw" (Click to install) which, once again, is not a firewall, but a means to configure the default firewall.
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by mcphargus View Post
    For all intents and purposes, forget that such a thing as a keylogger even exists. They're usually in the form of a device that connects between the computer and the keyboard. So unless you hand your laptop to someone or leave your hotel room unlocked, you're pretty safe from those. You cannot log keystrokes over a network connection.
    Thank you for this information. I had thought that someone could in fact install something on a network (perhaps at the router) by which they could capture keystrokes. (You can see that I am not a "computer sophisticate" but just someone who reads the "horror stories" in newspapers, etc.)

Thank you again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by J V View Post
    I have a premade list of why not to use firestarter
    I just went into the Synaptic Package Manager and uninstalled Firestarter and installed gufw.

I had not realized that Ubuntu already included a firewall.

Thank you very much for the information.

Beans
    Distro

By default ubuntu uses IPTables, which is, essentially all a firewall is...

UFW is a commandline tool to configure it, and GUFW is a graphical tool to use the commandline tool...

But in the end, you shouldn't need it unless you are installing servers or something on your system...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I want to again thank everyone who has written.

The information posted has been extremely useful to me.

I am going out now - after all, it IS the Fourth of July!

But I'll be back later or, more probably, tomorrow to see if there are any further comments.

Thanks again. I really feel better now - and so does my wife (and THAT is the most important thing!).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lhb1142
    Thank you. I thought Firestarter was a good program to have; evidently it is not?
    Firestarter is a GUI front end to iptables, it makes it somewhat easier for people to write rules. The GUI does not have to be running for those previously written iptables rules to be in effect, they start with networking. Thus, no need to run a "root" application during surfing and the "hits" logged would probably drive you crazy if you watched them anyway.

You could switch to ufw if you want but deny incoming would be the same no matter which GUI front-end writes the information to iptables.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Uh, guys? Any serious bank will use HTTPS for all data transmissions, so the fact that the wireless network is unsecured is totally irrelevant: transmissions will be encrypted anyway.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Yes, but unfortnately some banks recently got caught that they send the login data unencrypted and encrypt everything *after that* - just make sure the "Secure" bar is there on the login page and it will be fine...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast