Thread: Freezes on Install

Beans

Freezes on Install

Hi,

I've downloaded two iso's of 10.04, one is the default and the other for the netbook.

Both freezes at the Install window.. all I see is the install window with nothing on it, it's not loading anything. The cd drive stops spinning and the same blank window appears using the usb install.

Could be a hardware issue? what can I do here? I'm out of ideas... are there other alternative installers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Freezes on Install

have you tried booting with i915.modeset=1 or nomodeset as your grub setting? (Press shift on boot to display the list of kernels - press e and add one of the options immediately before quiet splash)
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply! nomodeset worked I got past the empty install window, it seems to be installing now hopefully nothing else happens..

I was wondering what this nomodeset is and why it stops the install .. (?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

some graphics cards dont work too well with the "kernel modesetting" that is switched-on by default in lucid. Nomodeset is just a quickway to get around this issue. Nvidia and ATI graphics cards sometimes are affected.

When you complete your install you will need to fix the problem permanently by editing your /etc/default/grub and adding nomodeset i.e. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset". Dont forget to run sudo update-grub after making the change.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.